What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Listened to some of my Black Sabbath SHM-SACDs last night.

8046.jpg

6607.jpg

Goddamn they sound good. Seriously, I doubt you'd get better sound if you were plugged in to the sound board while they were recording. Just amazing.

If only these damn SHM-SACD didnt cost 40+ a pop...

Seriously, if they were 10-15 a piece I'd own the whole damn universal SHM-SACD catalog.

^

Totally agree. If you go on the Universal-Music website it tells you where the master came from. The Queen SACDs are not transfers off of the analog masters. All of the Queen SACDs list the source is listed as "24/92 transfer by Bob Ludwig."

In contrast, the Sabbath CDs say "Latest DSD master based on original analog tape."

See: http://www.universal-music.co.jp/international/sacd/

I learned the hard way after buying a few of the Rolling Stones SHM-SACDs. Some sounded pretty mediocre, some sounded great. Turns out the mediocre ones (like Beggars Banquet) used the same masters as the earlier Stones ABKCO SACDs while the great ones (like Exile on Main) used new transfers directly off of the analog masters. Go figure.

I no longer buy any SHM-SACD unless it was a transfer from an analog master. Even then, the quality of some of the analog originals can be iffy, depending on the condition of the analog tape. I have ended up with a few duds even though they were from original analog masters. The reviews on SA-CD.net are really helpful in sniffing out the lemons.

For 40$+ a pop its expensive to be wrong.

But, goddamn, when they get it right they sound better than anything other than the original vinyl.

Edited by TMoney