What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

20 hours ago, Voltron said:

Big bucks?

Very reasonable! At these record shows, sometimes you get a nice guy that’s more interested in selling off stuff so they have the space and don’t need to bother bringing stuff home lol. I lucked out - essentially half of “market value” (Discogs)

Edited by recstar24
  • Like 2

Back the Way We Came: Vol. 1 (2011 - 2021)

Back the Way We Came: Vol. 1 (2011 - 2021)
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

https://album.link/i/1561288142

Example:

So I was watching the Roger Waters video (in another thread) about a bunch of musicians signing a guitar. And Noel Gallagher popped up. Hmmm Noel Gallagher, Noel Gallagher sounds familiar. Quick tidal search and I get Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds. Ah that guy from Oasis. Let's see what he has been up to. Turns out, pretty good stuff if you like his stuff. Turns out, it is stuff I like. 

Okay - everybody... Just slow your roll.....

The Art Of Tea

The Art Of Tea
Michael Franks

https://album.link/i/484683051

Example:

I didn't know how much I needed my roll slowed until I listened to this album this afternoon. Well recorded and smooth in the vein of Steely Dan. I'm good now...

... and with lyrics like this (from Eggplant):

"When my baby cooks her eggplant
She don't read no book
She's got a Gioconda kinda of dirty look

And my baby cooks her eggplant
About 19 different ways
Sometimes I just have it raw with mayonnaise"

I am not sure what he is talking about, but I am pretty sure it is not eggplant. And the album has the now jazz standard of Popsicle Toes.

Edited by mikeymad
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, mikeymad said:

.... Well recorded and smooth in the vein of Steely Dan. ...

So, recorded well... yup... 

• Albert Harry Schmitt - recording engineer  (ex. Aja - Steely Dan)
  • Doug Lionel Sax - mastering engineer (ex. The Wall - Pink Floyd)

I keep going back to different tracks and just listening to them. Fun find for me.

21 hours ago, mikeymad said:

Okay - everybody... Just slow your roll.....

The Art Of Tea

The Art Of Tea
Michael Franks

https://album.link/i/484683051

Example:

I didn't know how much I needed my roll slowed until I listened to this album this afternoon. Well recorded and smooth in the vein of Steely Dan. I'm good now...

... and with lyrics like this (from Eggplant):

"When my baby cooks her eggplant
She don't read no book
She's got a Gioconda kinda of dirty look

And my baby cooks her eggplant
About 19 different ways
Sometimes I just have it raw with mayonnaise"

I am not sure what he is talking about, but I am pretty sure it is not eggplant. And the album has the now jazz standard of Popsicle Toes.

Listening now. Enjoying the subtle underlying groove and lyrics. Smooth is definitely the word. 

• Like 1

Hans Krása, Kocian Quartet, Zuzana Růžičková – Chamber Music (Complete)  (1997, CD) - Discogs

I had to look this one up. Hans Krasa was a CZech composer that was sent to Theresienstadt Ghetto where he was most productive as a composer. He ended up dying in Auschwitz at 45. 

I like it and will be listening to this one more. Although its his own personality that comes through, it definitely has a Shostakovich feel to it at times which is a good thing. 

^^ that has me thinking of other albums that turned 50 - I will have to explore. 

Now:

Fate of a Dreamer (Expanded Edition)

Fate of a Dreamer (Expanded Edition)
Ambeon

https://album.link/i/1317040112

Example:

One of the many projects of Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon, Star One, his solo work (above)). This seems to be built around singer Astrid van der Veen. A nice collection of vocal tracks with prog feel. This larger release has interesting acoustic versions as well. 

2 hours ago, blessingx said:

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)

199856809_stsmall845x845-pad1000x1000f8f8f8.thumb.jpg.0f40fc22aa2daca684d1f1ec5b80eb57.jpg

That was my intro to The Flaming Lips. I had the pleasure of seeing them while they were touring  promoting Oczy Mlody. It was a small venue, so an intimate experience. Oddly, sponsored by the Winnipeg Jazz Festival. That's fine, I'll take them whoever is bringing them to town. The best part was that I brought my 16 year old daughter to her first rock show. Damn, they did not disappoint!

• Like 1