Why not to use Ontrac (Amazon)

Mr.Sneis

I don’t know what’s wrong with these people, it’s like they are smoking crack whilst making deliveries or something.

Last week I ordered a few Filco keyboards off of Amazon. I had one to be delivered to my office, one to be delivered to my home. Ontrac batted 0 for 2, it’s like a bad joke. Guess I just have the worst luck/bad effin week.

Here’s what happened for shipment #1 to the office – Filco Tenkeyless Brown keyboard

Slated to be delivered on Thursday. Well it never came. I called late in the day asking WTH was going on. Apparently the driver got a flat and couldn’t make it. OK flats happen. Friday rolls around. A neighboring business is bringing the package to me, looks like it was delivered TO THE WRONG ADDRESS. Had the neighbor not been kind enough to bring it over I definitely would have been screwed. Glad to have gotten the package. The address was clearly labeled as my office address by the way. No typo.

Here’s what happened for shipment #2 – Filco Tenkeyless Blue keyboard

Long story short I ordered this one Friday afternoon and decided what the hell Ontrac can’t possibly screw up again. The blue board was slated to be delivered today. Well it too never came. Status at around 8pm was still out for delivery. I check back a few minutes ago and notice it says it was delivered to F DOOR at 7:06pm. Well both I and my roommate have been home all freaking day, I’ve been watching the door like a hawk and they sure as hell never came by. I got on Amazon chat and the rep (outsourced) had some nice copy and paste chat with me and will hopefully be sending a refund.

Of course Amazon’s sold out of Filcos now so there’s no way I can order another one.

I’m off to go type on my newly acquired broken Model M now.

tl;dr

OnTrac is a piece of garbage. Don’t ship through OnTrac, PAY a premium for another form of shipping if/when possible.

Yeah, never heard of OnTrac.

Interestingly, I needed to order some ink for our printer at home, and I usually get it through Amazon. I went ahead and ordered it (saving > $20 + tax from BestBuy prices), and noticed a shipping option of Local Express Delivery, which promised next day delivery. Cost was ~$11, which was less than the 2-day delivery option. Normally I would just use their free super saver delivery, but I wanted this a bit quicker. So I went with it. Sure enough, it was delivered yesterday after placing the order Monday night.

It is not available in all areas (seemed to only be major cities). I assumed it would be coming out of Chicago somewhere, but when I went to look at the tracking, it came out of the Indianapolis area and was delivered by a courier service! I have no idea how $11 pays for all of that, but WTF. I assume the Indy to Chicago must have been on UPS or FedEx run between the two cities?

Edited by Pars

Yep, amazon has started using Ensenda here and I am not a fan to say the least (I have problems with tracking and getting things in 2 days with amazon prime). When I order something of value at amazon or need it in a 2 day window, I end up pay for 1 day shipping. So far, they have never shipped something 1 day via Ensenda.

I think people who are actually paying for an amazon prime account should get a super prime account where they request the carrier used.

Edited by shellylh

Wow, well I haven't had any issues with Ontrac, other than the fact that they drive up to my house in unmarked, non-business looking vehicles (out in the country, causing people to wonder who the fuck just came up their driveway). I had two packages delivered by Ontrac in the last two days down here in LA where I'm at now, and no problems. Thank goodness, I'd have really been ticked off if Amazon's shipping method lost my new phone.

Wow, well I haven't had any issues with Ontrac, other than the fact that they drive up to my house in unmarked, non-business looking vehicles (out in the country, causing people to wonder who the fuck just came up their driveway). I had two packages delivered by Ontrac in the last two days down here in LA where I'm at now, and no problems. Thank goodness, I'd have really been ticked off if Amazon's shipping method lost my new phone.

That sounds like what some small companies do in Australia, where they hire drivers on commission who use their own vehicles because they aren't large and established enough to be able to afford a proper fleet etc. In one place I worked, we used the drivers of such a company for deliveries, with half a dozen on permanent roster. Lots of entertaining times with that, including one who tried to steal a customer's box of software from under our noses.

Yeah, they use Ontrac here in San Jose.

I can't say that I've had any more trouble than UPS or USPS (if that's saying anything), but they sure do look like a rinky-dink outfit. The guy shows up in a beat up old van with an "Ontrac" sticker stuck to it.

Every time I see them pull up, I check for recent Amber Alerts.

It is funny. All of the same day stuff here in NYC is driven out from Pennsylvania across some distance. I am not sure how they can afford it.

Guessing that PA is Amazon's closest warehouse. Order cutoff at 10:30 AM. All processed orders dumped onto trailer(s) probably by about noon and driven somewhere near the city, by about 3 PM. Then it's split out to the couriers, leaving the drivers with something like a 4 hour window. I think I see why it doesn't work all that often. If you lived in a place where there were lots of easy deliveries gathered together I'm sure you'd get same day service. They've got to route for maximum efficiency and hit the tricky spots the next morning.