Apex Peak + Volcano

If anything, try the foil thing first, and skip the part about grounding it.  Just don't skip the part about making sure it doesn't touch any of the other pins.  Like was said -- it theoretically should still work as a shield as long as it completes a circuit around the tube.

And here's another tidbit -- you'd be better off making sure the foil was touching the tube everywhere but at the bottom, rather than leaving a little space.  Why?  Because it'll conduct the heat instead of trap it.  Just make sure to give it a little flare at the bottom (yes, like bell-bottoms), so that it doesn't touch the pins.

If this makes you too nervous to do long term, at least try it once to see if it solves the problem.

[Nitpicking start] "grey glass" tubes do not have more shielding than normal tubes. 

The grey stuff (graphite) was applied to the glass to improve performance in certain conditions. The MFR's all swore that they figured out a way to solve these problems without the grey glass after a certain point, but I think they just got lazy and cheap.[/nitpicking end]

Happy you got it to run quietly. Some tubes are just noisy. 

FWIW, a single one of these worked on the Sophia and the Tung-Sol tubes, making them nearly silent.

1791_G_1331647335645.jpg

This doesn't mean I'm using the Tung-Sol tube. I ain't. ;)

The Psvane and Treasure tubes are both silent without it (and it doesn't quite fit them anyway—the tubes are too wide at their widest point).

The Ety ER-4S sounds pretty nice through the Peak. I can now listen open or closed at work and not disturb anyone!

Ari thx for the nitpick—although even with a silent tube or with a shield/tube combo I hear the same noise if I plug in the JH16s (and not with the ER-4S or HD800). So in this case it's environment noise and not "tube noise"—although I guess maybe you were saying that the noisy tubes are the ones that pick up more RF interference. They don't seem to be generating any noise of their own...