Apex Peak + Volcano

Mostly a Lavry DA10, though recently also a Rega RP1-TTVJ stage. My B22 is indeed a two-board version (I previously had a four-board, though eventually was told by next owner there were problems with it - can't remember what - and it's been years and different gear). I should clarify my issues - I tend to feel over time all wire-with-gain amps I've had (B22, GS1, CK2III) are bright, and only used successfully over time with dark cans such as the lower Senns. The HD800 was the first to push the Luxman there too, which is another story. Course brightness means different things to different people and often I just mean a perceived imbalanced towards the top. And I'm obviously shifting blame away from phones to the amp, a little unfair. It's just less often and less severe with the P/V than my other amps.

• 7 months later...

Also, I don't agree that the wire-with-gain amps are bright. Check your source before blaming the amps.

It isn't necessarily the case that the source is bright, or even that the amp is bright. Instead, it is often the case that the system of amp + headphones is overdamped leading to a bright sound. People describe this as being clinical, or neutral, and often think it is more accurate. Some people even like it. But, it is not necessarily "truer."

It isn't necessarily the case that the source is bright, or even that the amp is bright. Instead, it is often the case that the system of amp + headphones is overdamped leading to a bright sound. People describe this as being clinical, or neutral, and often think it is more accurate. Some people even like it. But, it is not necessarily "truer."

Quick question, what's the output impedance of the B22 vs. say the GS-1? Aren't they both very low and in turn "overdamped"?

I don't know as I've never measured them -- you'd have to ask the designers. But, I am not saying that they are necessarily or always overdamped -- I am saying that with certain headphones they might be. And that when people describe certain headphones as being bright, or shrill, this may be the reason. It is really a personal preference. But, there has been an emphasis on amps with a near 0 Zout for a while, and my experience says that it is not always the right choice.

By the way, take a look at the Zout spec'd for the Apex Pinnacle http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/b0edde2a#/b0edde2a/2

~12R for low Z and ~45R for high Z cans is where my experience says the sweet spot seems to be as well.

I'm waiting for Spritzer's incarnation of the volcano. He could call it Bardabonga after the volcano that blew in 1477AD.

I dont think Schiit will steal that name as they did Mjolnir. It doesn't have the same ring to it.

• 4 months later...

Hello guys!

I am interested in Peak/Volcano amp. Currently I have Luxman P-200. Thought about Luxman P-1u.

But then found Peak.

What will be better amp for my HD800? Peak/Volcano or P-1u?

P.S. I am not a tube guy. That why I look only to solid state and hybryd amps as I like a bit warm but powerful sound. My P-200 sound really nice, but I hope I can find even better amp...

Hello guys!

I am interested in Peak/Volcano amp. Currently I have Luxman P-200. Thought about Luxman P-1u.

But then found Peak.

What will be better amp for my HD800? Peak/Volcano or P-1u?

P.S. I am not a tube guy. That why I look only to solid state and hybryd amps as I like a bit warm but powerful sound. My P-200 sound really nice, but I hope I can find even better amp...

Musical Fidelity A3^CR + RCA->headphone adapter

Also, ditch the HD800 if you like a warm sound. Go to HD650 at least. Someone else please feel free to step in here and correct me if I'm not remembering things correctly, as it's been years since I heard it, but HD800 is more in the "clinical" and "dry" end of the spectrum.

• 1 year later...

Thread: RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

I'm listening to a Peak/Volcano right now, and both tubes I've tried are picking up interference—there's a lot of signal noise around here (wireless, computers and shit). I'm hearing a faint high-pitched scratchy sound. I've occasionally heard it on other gear I've listened to in the same location.

If I cup my hands around the tube, the scratchy sound goes away, so I'm pretty sure it's the tube picking it up.

Other than keeping my hands cupped around the tube when I'm listening to music (which I can only do for days at a time), does anybody have any other ideas?

I think what he's saying is that wrapping the tube in foil will shield it from the noise the tube is picking up. Like my hands do when I cup them around the tube--the noise completely disappears. Not the most aesthetically pleasing solution, but more practical than holding my hands there all the time. Forgive my ignorance here, but how would I go about grounding the foil? I'm a novice with that kind of thing. Edit: I haven't moved anything to another room yet.

Edited by cutestory

I think what he's saying is that wrapping the tube in foil will shield it from the noise the tube is picking up. Like my hands do when I cup them around the tube--the noise completely disappears. Not the most aesthetically pleasing solution, but more practical than holding my hands there all the time. Forgive my ignorance here, but how would I go about grounding the foil? I'm a novice with that kind of thing. Edit: I haven't moved anything to another room yet.

See if the surface of the case is connected to ground, if it is, just tape part of the foil to the case. If it isn't, you might have to scratch the surface of the case a little to expose the metal that is grounded and tape the foil to that.

There might be other ways, but this is the simplest I can think of.