Everything posted by nikongod
-
Point and shoot camera recommendations?
Any requirement for Dirt/Mud/Water resistance?
-
Happy Birthday Al!
Sorry for missing this. Happy birthday AL!
-
The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.
I kinda like the shadows a 2-light macro setup gets you. Surely there is an aftermarket ring-flash that will work with the camera in TTL mode. If you are willing to give up TTL metering there are TONS of generic ring-flashes.
-
KGST Normal bias
You may need to tweak the values to get the right bias from your B+.
-
HC Bike/Cycling Thread
I dont think I would even want to hike that.
-
HC Bike/Cycling Thread
Saturday I took fotos at the Grants Tomb Crit in NYC. Ignoring the fact that it rained for most of the day, it was pretty awesome I'd say. There were very few spectators, so I got to stand where ever I wanted, and the overcast sky was a nice change from previous years with harsh direct sunlight coming from the wrong place. Link to Flickr album 2015 CRCA Grants Tomb Crit by Lord Nikon 12, on Flickr 2015 CRCA Grants Tomb Crit by Lord Nikon 12, on Flickr 2015 CRCA Grants Tomb Crit by Lord Nikon 12, on Flickr 2015 CRCA Grants Tomb Crit by Lord Nikon 12, on Flickr
-
Shelf life of liqueurs
I'm a bit surprised KG hasn't built a nitrogen/noble gas purge system to rid his bottles of oxygen. You can buy "canned air" looking cans filled with noble gas for this purpose... And people used to do this with photo-chemicals to increase their shelf life.
-
The Headcase Stax thread
It has been my experience that all of the colorations is the same as no coloration.
-
Happy 30th Birthday Fitz!
Happy Birthday Fitz!
-
Genital Pictures....oh, and pens
you got a pretty nice pen for a guy who does not know what he is doing. Just saying... On a happier note, the AG-7 is "breaking in" a bit. The clicker has gotten a bit smoother with a liberal application of graphite lube, and some fairly obsessive clicking. I still wish it were smoother.
-
The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.
If you sell photos (in america anyways) your camera equipment may no longer be covered under your normal home owners/renters insurance. Tagging your photos properly is very important.
-
Genital Pictures....oh, and pens
Because Headcase, I bought a Fisher AG-7 "spacepen" and a 400G Bullet Pen. I have not actually used either *much* seeing as how I only received them a few days ago, but here are some quick first impressions. I realllllly wanted to like the AG-7, but I'm finding it too lacking. I'm not a big fan of the balance of this pen. The center of gravity is a bit closer to the clicker than the tip than I'm comfy with, and I'm not really a fan. I think I am just used to neutrally balanced or tip weighted pens and this just feels weird. The grip of the pen is also thinner than I like. I guess with no gravity pulling the pen around it might not matter. It is heavier than the 849 I have gotten used to, but still lighter than a Rotring although both have better subjective balance than this. The clicker definitely has some metal on metal contact, and scrapes as it goes down but seats with a very positive click. The button release is pretty neat. Ignoring the scraping clicker, the fit and finish of this pen actually feels quite good. It is all metal, and will probably outlast me. I also got the 400G Lacquered Brass bullet pen. I was not sure how I would like the bullet pen, but I must admit it is growing on me quickly. I had previously used HALF of a bullet pen - with no idea what to do with the cap. Whoda known, but with the cap on the back of the pen, it handles like any other full sized pen! The balance is biased towards the tip of the pen, which I like and the weight is nice. Like the AG7, this pen is on the slim side for my tastes, but I see it as a backup for my primary pen, or something to jot quick notes in the car. My only other complaint about this pen is that it tends to sit in the EXACT bottom of my pockets perpendicular to my leg where a full size pen stays more or less straight up & down parallel to my leg. It is probably better suited to being tucked into a wallet, or left in a cup holder in your car which is where mine will live. Seeing as how I am me, I removed the Lacquer from the pen within 12hours of receiving it. I will not be able to comment on the durability of the lacquer, as about 2 minutes soaking in acetone and another 30seconds with a scouring pad made short work of it... The patina of naked brass, combined with the unusual spiral decoration is giving my modified pen a nice well loved look.
-
What is black powder on CR123 lithium batteries?
Lithium battery explosions/fires are quite violent. They are also SIGNIFICANTLY less common in non-rechargeable batteries than they are in rechargeable batteries. There is basically no chance that happened here. My bet is something flaking off from inside the flashlight.
-
Happy Birthday, Nate!
Happy Birthday Nate!
-
Happy birthday Craig Sawyers!
Happy Birthday Craig!
-
Batteries in the washing machine
no. Enough water goes though to dilute the acid to hopelessly weak concentrations. Front load washers are often cited as being gentler than top-load. So even less chance. Batteries don't leak until they are fully dead. Stop. We all have your best interests in mind here. There is nothing to worry about. Water for a batter spill applies to a car battery (or other Lead-Acid battery) and safe handling practices for the much stronger acids found there. It is not applicable to this situation.
-
Batteries in the washing machine
I, like the others, doubt any acid (or anything) leaked out of the batteries - they are typically quite well sealed. If it really bugs you just wash the sheets again for piece of mind.
-
The Knuckledragger 3rd Memorial Slow Forum Post
The small-house-fan in me says that should also serve double-duty as an ironing board.
-
Amplification dilemma
Even if you start off small(ish) it is not hard to get to DIY-Dyna* level pretty quickly. If you are interested in DIY, I would also look at the CKKiii as one of your "middle of learning process amps." It is VASTLY overshadowed by the vastly overhyped b22... so nobody talks about it. But its a good sounding, very affordable mid-complexity build. The hardest part is (still) casework. For me, anyways.
-
Are subscription notifications working?
I am not getting notifications for the movie thread I started.
-
Happy Birthday Naaman!
Happy Birthday Naaman!
-
Hot Doug's Closing Oct 2014
Will they have a lottery, or will it be first come first to set up a tent and wait in line for 3 days?
-
The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!
25% matching free.
-
HC Bike/Cycling Thread
The correct number of bikes is n+1, where n is the number of bikes you currently own.
-
Ikea Speaker?
This is a spin-off of another thread: I have long wondered why IKEA does not make flat-pack speakers. Either a simple, but relatively large (larger than what you could conveniently load into a very small car anyways) single driver or 2-way speaker in a rectangular box (maybe with a port?) OR a crazy-super-sexxy single driver folded horn. I wonder if the market demand for a nicer speaker is just too small