Shelf life of liqueurs

shellylh

I know that spirits with over 40% alcohol should last indefinitely even if opened (as long as they have a cap on them).  What about lower proof liqueurs?  I have about 20 bottles of opened liqueurs in my liquor cabinet that I haven't used in a couple of years.  They range from 18% (pear liqueur) alcohol to 30% (Ramazzoti) alcohol.  They have all been opened for at least 3 years.  I am going to throw away everything under 20%.  I am thinking of also getting rid of every under 30%.  The question is what to do with stuff around 30%.  Given that I don't really drink they very much and I have a limited amount of space in my liquor cabinet, this seems like a rational decision.  

Does anyone know a link to a reference to how long liqueur at a certain proof will last (for now and the future)? 

Thanks Nate. I saw this but it didn't seem that helpful.  

"Once you begin to see any sugar crystallizing on the bottom, discoloration, curdling or other changes you will want to throw that bottle away or at least give it a taste test before mixing with it."

The problem is some of the liqueurs I have only use a couple of times in cocktails back when I was going to the Anvil list.  So I don't know the original color of the liqueur and don't know what it should taste like. I can certainly look for crystallizing or curdling.

You don't have to throw away any of that stuff, Shelly.  Nothing you described above like pear liqueur and Ramazotti should be pitched for the sake of age.  Liqueurs last a very long time without ever being "spoiled" or unhealthy in some way.  I have open bottles of my own that are many years old and they taste fine and have no issues other than a possible softening of flavors.  I also just recently finished off a Grand Marnier that my grandfather had purchased decades ago.  I also kick myself now for throwing away some Galliano and other random liqueurs my grandfather had left in the house.

I am not sure of your concern other than space but I don't think there is a health and safety worry on any of it.  If there are things you want to pitch to make room for other things, that is totally up to you.  But I have creme de cassis (16%) and ginger liqueur (18%) and Allspice Dram (22.5%) that I have no concerns about after years of being open.  Velvet Falernum (11%) gets sediment at the bottom after awhile but I have never experienced ill effects of making a Corn-N-Oil or whatever with it.

The stuff is fine. High sugar content and alcohol, even at lower ABV, are potent anti-microbials.

This. The only concern would be the degradation of the organoleptic properties due to further maceration, but distilled liquors aren't wines or beers, they usually don't have yeasts or fungus converting sugar in more alcohol.

What a pity, my wife loves Amaretto. You should try it on a properly made tiramisú ;)

• Like 2