Everything posted by Pars
-
New, Cheap Dynalo...
DC offset is measured at the output with the pot turned all the way down. With a DMM (digital multimeter) set to DC volts, you measure from L (tip) to ground (sleeve) and R (ring) to ground (sleeve). These should ideally be <1 millivolt (0.001 Vdc), but anything under 5-10mV should be fine. Easiest way to do it is to use a blank 1/4" phone plug and do your measurements across the contacts; avoids having to open the unit. Excessive DC offset could trash your IEMs. I'm not pointing fingers at the manufacturer or anything, but since this is a DC coupled amp, there are no coupling caps to protect you from this. One other thing you could try is unplug the amp from your source, turn the volume all the way down, and then listen. If you still hear the noise, then it is the amp. If not, blame your source.
- Happy Birthday n3rdling!
-
New, Cheap Dynalo...
I would check DC offset on the amp, particularly if I was going to be plugging expensive IEMs into one of these.
-
Happy Brithday, recstar24!!!!!
Happy Birthday Ryan!
- Happy Birthday Dr. Gilmore!
-
Post the last thing you bought!
^ that's quite a difference! How are the temps inside?
-
What did you do today?
That sucks Vicki.. hope you have a better day today.
-
Sony MDR V6 Headphone Problem
If they're anything like the sony mdrV2s I used to have, patience is the key. Sounds like you're running a bit short on that. Try using a small screwdriver or something similar to get the edge into the slot and work your way around. I did mine at work where I don't have a lot of time to be farking with such shit, and I got mine back on.
-
Esoteric D70
^ 10-Base2 or thinnet used them.
-
Esoteric D70
50 ohm BNC are used on scopes, etc. and seem to be more prevalent. Identified by more material around the center on chassis jacks. 75 ohm have next to nothing around the center. The XLRs used for AES/EBU are actually ~110 ohm (which is the standard), but are horrible for RF connections (i.e., S/PDIF or AES/EBU).
-
I sort of want a pair of good closed phones
I own the SRH840s and I also have a pair of AKG K271s w/velour pads (essentially the same as the MKIIs). I prefer the AKGs to the Shures as being more neutral, particularly on classical. The Shure's are fun phones, but they are a bit steely on upper strings and have a bass hump. I'd like to hear the thunderpants sometime.
-
What did you do today?
Same, with same result The local high school music department does a mulch sale every year as a fundraiser. My son and I were supposed to help with delivery, but they wound up having too many people, so I got out of that part. Came home and my mulch order was delivered within an hour, so got it all put down. Glad I didn't have to do both, or I'd really be hurting. Also, good luck Marc! Hope things work out and HP leaves you guys alone.
-
Iron for a newb who needs to do some minor work, i.e. replacing a resistor
Hakko Dash seems to get recommended a lot? HakkoUSA - Product Detail - Hakko "Dash" Soldering Irons I suppose you could just buy the ratshack irons. Theirs suck, especially the tips, but I got by with one for quite awhile. They do carry some Weller irons, such as this one, which doesn't look too bad. Weller
-
What did you do today?
Well done Beefy! Congrats! Go easy on the hookers, your liver will thank you later. Oh wait, was that booze?
-
Nice deal on decent speakers
I was going to mention the employees, etc., but I did a quick search and it appears that AV123 has been stiffing its suppliers, and also seemed that a number of people did not get their product as well. Mind you this was a QUICK search, so I may have missed a lot.
-
Which Panavise
I have the 324 work center, minus the solder iron holder, which I bought off of ebay. I never have bought any other heads for it; still use a helping hands for cable shit (or my bench vise). I dislike the helping hands more everytime I use them The Panavise Jr. looks nice, if you can live with its limitations.
-
Post the last thing you bought!
Nice Nate! What are DROs? Digital Readout?
-
Team Audio-Technica Unite!
Of course you could.
-
Post the last thing you bought!
Pass Aleph P 1.7 preamp (again, though this time I actually have it )
-
Dodd Audio kits
not sure if there is any interest, but ran across these: DODD AUDIO DIY
-
What did you do today?
Ouch, missed that! Congrats Brent!
- What did you do today?
-
Godspeed Naaman!
Glad to see you got there OK. Take care!
-
15 year old DAC, or almost brand new DAC for around 200 euro?
For the Adcom, the film caps with long leads is pretty questionable. Better to use a DC coupled discrete stage instead of mucking with opamps and coupling caps. The copper tape shielding is fine, and does appear to be grounded. No idea on the other DAC.
-
What did you do today?
Ehhhh.... best of luck Marc. At least Carly isn't still at HP.