Sennheiser HD 800 Redux

The Monkey

Alternately, pair it with a ray samuels SR-71 and it might fix the treble rolleyes.gif . Although, I don't think it is possible with the Ed 10s.

Don't know if you are joking here or not, but in my case I tend to find the HD800 are still a little on the bright side when using it in balanced mode with SR-71b (stock cable converted to balanced by n-maher).

Don't know if you are joking here or not, but in my case I tend to find the HD800 are still a little on the bright side when using it in balanced mode with SR-71b (stock cable converted to balanced by n-maher).

Sorry, I was joking...I have not bothered to try the 800s with the sr71 (original) .

Still tinkering with it on the dac1 and applying some equalisation while i get the stuff for the anaxilus mod sorted out. My tolerance for a brighter headphone is probably on the higher side. I do tend to listen at lower volumes to compensate.

I am however thinking of giving these a go balanced with the dac1 xlr outs to see how it works out. I didn't mind the hd650s driven this way.

No idea on where to source the hd800 connectors though.

• 2 months later...

I've been the proud owner of a HD800 since Friday and while I've listened to the HD800 a few dozen times it's my first opportunity to spend some quality time with them at home. This one isn't brand new (S/N: 8329) but in perfect condition. They are clearly the best dynamic Sennheiser have ever made, imaging is almost as good as the Stax Omega's (though it lacks the layering of the 007) and the detail retrieval is quite good but the midrange is distant, the bass a bit lacking at times and they can be a too bright. Mods are clearly in order but I wonder just how far people have pushed this and I don't really feel like reading the huge threads on HF. Damping the back of the drivers a bit could yield good results and it might also be good to mess with the impedance a bit. Once we rip apart the new Senn amp then we'll know what impedance they design their headphones for but it should be worth the time to experiment on.

The ring mod described by Tyll helps a bit for these aged ears of mine. Using the included template it takes a few minutes to make. Maybe not a dramatic change, but worth exploring. After all it's reversible.

Definitely the amplifier can bring out the midrange. With the Luxman they're pretty enjoyable to me.

The ring mod described by Tyll helps a bit for these aged ears of mine. Using the included template it takes a few minutes to make. Maybe not a dramatic change, but worth exploring. After all it's reversible.

Definitely the amplifier can bring out the midrange. With the Luxman they're pretty enjoyable to me.

I agree with and approve of his post.

That's what I was afraid of so I'll see what I can cook up. The sole reason for buying these was my utter lack of "normal" dynamic headphones as I need something for the ipad... laugh.png

Just reterminated the HE60 I got on Friday and yeah, the HD800 has its moments but the 60's are clearly the best headphone Sennheiser ever made. :)