Sennheiser HD 800 Redux

The Monkey

Yeah, I'd seen the hot sauce thing before...but I remain very interested on what's the current best mod and if it's going anywhere. 

I just need to PM Anax really. I'll do that when I return from Germany. 

BTW, Axel Grell is aware of the mod and said they did play around with something like it during development. He thinks it's a legit mod.

Yeah, the new Anax is coming along but he wants to make sure there aren't any compromises with it.  While there are some nice FR benefits you don't want to muffle it at all, which has happened when the first couple versions weren't done properly.  

Well, there's a distinct 6kHz peak in there that oughtn't be...from a purely technical point of view anyway. The Mods so far have been pretty good at keeping the imaging and detail strengths while knocking down the 6k bump. Doesn't make them syrupy at all. 

Not sure the Changstar group are leaning that way, the Meridian Explorer is a by syrupy---frankly I like that---and they didn't like it.

Right, really out the door now. See ya!

Gosh, I guess i am in the minority, or don't listen to strident music like others do, but I like the 800s just the way they are.  Seems like a thick/syrupy sound preference is the religion they are preaching at changstar.

I don't totally disagree. I did a very basic version of the mod just using some wool felt I had left over from a speaker project. There was definitely less treble energy, but there was also a flatness that made them a bit boring (hence the HD650 comment). And bass seemed to be reduced. Since the mod can clearly be implemented better, I'll reserve any judgment until I actually do it right. I do like them stock with the right amp.

Tyll -- have you measured them with different amps, or just with some low Z high feedback type?

Tyll, I personally know Mike & Marv, nice guys, and have had a mini meet with them and their preference for warmer stuff pervades that site IMO...

Not saying that is bad, but it is a preference to which I do not subscribe.  So, no Cavalli, RSA stuff for me.  One of them told me, can't remember who, that they listen to mostly 80's music, and pop, if I remember correctly, so that may explain why 90% of the things they listen to are "harsh".

Edited by blubliss

Another fan of the hd800 dsha1 pairing. I definitely preferred it driven by the higher impedance output (Doug that's 50 ohms output into 300, correct?) i listened to tyll's modded version and it was great, but I never found the stock one that overly offensive either.

Everyone determines what's neutral or preferable with their own bias and it's ok.

But using a criteria such as "gear which doesn't sound good with all the music isn't up to snuff" when you largely favor nasty recordings is missing the point imo. It's like asking for a race car to handle dirt road with pot holes, something's gotta give.

I guess it's because people sometimes use the argument the other way around: a really nasty phone that sounds terrible except for specific music genres where the faults happen to not be exacerbeted.

I remain convinced that seeking the ultimate listening experience for average recordings is elusive. The one and only phone I've heard to date which can pull it off is the Omega 2mk1, and even then, I still prefer my 009 for any decent recording.

The stock HD800 isn't quite forgiving but I would suggest to spend a good time listening to it in stock form before modding because there is a good chance you'll give up something to tame this acoustic resonance.

Driving it with reduced damping factor (like a 120z out), certainly changes the voicing. I have magically gained access back the viewing CS so here's a link to marv's measurement: http://www.changstar.com/index.php?topic=90.0

Edited by arnaud

I just got the HD800.  I don't have many impressions yet because I am still listening.  I've only put about eight hours in...  But they are so much different than HD600s.  They are not as "forward" as any other standard headphone.  Is this because something is missing or because it is just presenting in a different way.  I really like them, actually.  I like the way they image.  I like the air.  I like the midrange.  They are pretty clinical, though, that's for sure. 

Hey VPI!  Yep.  Still going strong!  Upgraded to Tango iron.  I haven't had the desire to upgrade (besides the OPT) or switch my amp in the six or seven years I have owned it.  I am glad about that.  This is the amp for me and I hope it stays that way. 

I hadn't posted on head-fi in quite a long time.  I go back and suddenly no more familiar faces.  I come here and everyone is having a party! 

Good stuff.  Nice to see some of the old names. 

• Like 1

Welcome tjkurita! I remember that amp well. Glad you're still rocking it and that you found your way over here. I am an hd800 fan but your impressions are also not askew. Give them more time and maybe some techy guy around here can talk about how they would match up with your amp.

Edited by Voltron

Great to see all of you guys!  I really like the HD800 too, Voltron.  I don't think of the resolution and presentation as shortcomings.  They might be the best headphones I have heard.   But they are, in many ways, the most unique as well.  Having owned the HD600, HP-1, HP-2, RS1, Omega 2, the HD800 seem most similar to the O2.  Maybe I am crazy for saying that.  They seem like the O2 with more "dynamic" qualities.  Of course, I don't listen to headphones as much as many people here.  I consider my amp a speaker/power amp that happens to have a headphone jack... 

Speaking of which, here is a photo of the amp with updated iron, 5AR4 instead of 5R4W, and the HD800:

8724959154_631cf64fef_c.jpg

8723843223_de45e63c90_c.jpg

8724957534_423c868800_c.jpg

8724955278_79b363ca12_c.jpg

• Like 2

Holy shitsnacks! (whatever that means). It is beautiful indeed.

The phrase "Holy shitsnacks!" is from Archer, one of the funniest shows on television. I know it's in the first episode, at least. Pam says it.

And the amp? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiit. I want to make sweet love to that thing. 

I bought a HD800 about a week ago and so far I have to say I'm disappointed... I find it very good technically, but it leaves me cold and doesn't involve me in anything. And it's not a source/amp issue since I'm using it with a Meier Eartube, an extremely warm amp, and even that doesn't cut it for me.

The cans sound too neutral to me somehow, with something on the mids and highs that remind me of the "hardness" that I hear on my K1000, and to me there's not enough bass to balance it out and make the presentation sweeter. This is undoubtely a very good headphone, but one that feels more like a machine to hear what's on the recording rather than a headphone for listening to music.

These are very interesting impressions.  I am still in the early stages.  Usually when I get a new piece of gear that is supposed to be good (read: expensive), I listen really critically.  I look for all of the flaws I can find in order to eliminate it as soon as possible and recover $.  If I like the gear, it sticks around and then I stop listening critically and just enjoy it.  And then I disappear from the forums for a year or two until the new thing comes out!  At this point I am listening to these hard.  I can hear some peakiness in the highs  Not sure if it is the recording or not...  Not sure if it is the infamous 6K peak.  But I don't hear the hardness you speak of.  I think I know what you are referring to as I owned the K1K and "hard" is a very apt description.  I must say I hated those things!  The HD800 seem rather smooth in comparison.  I will see what happens as things progress.