Whisk[e]y-Case

shellylh

Not to mention that Eagle Rare is Buffalo Trace distillate and doesn't have an ounce of MGP in it.

True- posted quickly and remembered after I ran out that my friend visited the Buffalo Trace distillery and brought me back a bottle with a buffalo nickel on it.  More untruth in labeling.  Apologies.  

Yes it is true - that most of the American Whisky you see on the shelves comes from about 3 distilleries - contract distilling. Give them a recipe and money and they give you barrels. You make up a name and put it on the shelves. It takes a lot of research to find out where it comes from. One of the reasons I like single malt - Bowmore = Bowmore. 

A lot of High west these days is pretty legit, Dave had to buy casks from various places to get off the ground, but makes a lot of it now. But it is easy to supplement. 

Kilchoman is great juice but not great value. I wanted that bottle for a while too but there's better values out there, especially from the independent distillers. I'd highly recommend the bottle of Burnside if it's still available.

I'm sure this is great as well for the same money.

• 3 weeks later...

Went out last night to celebrate Frank's (Falkon's) bachelor party last night. Much good bourbon was had. Seemed appropriate given that we are in Lexington, Kentucky. I don't really remember what we had but hopefully Frank will chime in in the next few days and let us know. Needless to say, it was wonderful.

Being relatively new to whiskey, I had mine on the rocks, much to Frank's dismay. He, of course, drank neat with a glass of room temperature water by his side. Guess I have a lot to learn.

EDIT: It was Elijah Craig 12 and Angel's Envy. Of the two, I liked the Elijah.

Edited by TMoney

• 3 weeks later...

I think I got a bottle of the 2014 Supernova at K&L but I seriously doubt I'll drink it. Probably trade it for some Pappy or other hard to get stuff.

I seriously have no idea where to even start looking for shit in the East Bay area.  All the liquor stores are just horrible.  My best bet has been K&L in redwood city.  Don't know if Mikey or some other bay area folks have suggestions.

Depending on type of liquor (sorry thought this was a different thread ;) ) a few good places like Bottle Barn & Artisan Depot listed below. Afraid EB isn't well represented.

http://sf.cityvoter.com/best/liquor-store/specialty-food-and-drink/bay-area

Edited by blessingx

Visited K&L and Beltramos. Picked up these:

1148304x.jpg

1170141x.jpg

The Benrinnes is fantastic for the money and easily bests any similarly priced non-sherried, unpeated whisky on the market today (a disappearing art, if you ask me).

The mezcal is also good.  It is deliciously complex but the smoke is a little too challenging for my palate.  I think I'll stick with quality tequila in the future.  If you love peated floral whisky (think Port Charlotte, Caol Ila, maybe Bowmore and Bunnahabhain), this might be worth a try.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

And in other news, ex footballer and sometimes underwear model comes up with a new Whisky

david_beckham_haig-club1.jpg

That looks somewhat familiar ....

Bleu-de-Chanel2.jpg

You could be easily confused at Duty Free

David%20Beckham_LocationScotland_02.jpg

and lazy journo's go for the easy headline 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/drinking_and_dining/47903/blend-it-like-beckham.html

http://www.haigwhisky.com/

And to think they used to sell it like ...

6bd3ffcbfb4634b63f22e2023c201453cc291d00