Fostex TH-900 -- $2K flagship headphone from Fostex is super sexy and closed

Dusty Chalk

The Jap retail price has been around the 125k yen mark. And it is not markedly different in bulid to a Denon D2000 so i doubt it is as expensive to produce as a Stax for instance, even at that price there is a fair amount of profit on it, maybe more so than on an SR009.

But why the sale?  I'm not complaining here but I do feel for those who paid $2000 for them.  

i haven't asked, but there has been no price drop as far as i know. However, the Fostex distributor in the U.S. seems to have given up on price enforcement. It didn't help that TH-600 are absolutely impossible to sell. there is no money to be made at $1299 though. that is the massdrop gray market price

to be honest i dont have much interest in continuing selling Fostex because of this

Edited by justin

it actually sold really well once they dropped the price to 1499, which was pretty much on-par with the pricejapan type sites at the time. it may have even been slightly less

currently they are 1425 on pricejapan, and massdrop acquiring pairs to sell at 1299 indicates someone is sitting on stock and can't move it. i haven't been able to sell a TH-900 since last october, prior to that it was 2 or 3 per month.

i'm not sure if Massdrop is for people who will buy anything because it's on sale or if its for people who really want the TH-900 at a slightly lower price. a 15% discount shouldnt result in something flying off the shelves

Edited by justin

• 3 weeks later...

These are great headphones - very crisp and clear detailed sound without any harsh highs that the TH600 can be.

The TH900 is that more of a refined sound, but I'm not sure it's worth around double the price of the TH600, which I'd say is better value though a little brighter.

Soundstage on both the TH600 & TH900 is excellent and you could forget these are closed back rather than open.

I think FOSTEX have a new headphone coming soon (TH500RP), which just going off its model number suggests it fits behind the TH600?

imagejpg1-16.jpg

Build of headband and cup brackets look the same as the TH600 and 900's with different metal enclosures in styling.

Edited by mesoteric

Finally, a new headphone of actual interest to me. Fostex have been in the ortho game for decades, unlike everyone else currently on the market. I hope they have put all that experience and knowledge into practice.

ur5XFGb.jpg

The headphones to the right looks nicer and must be sweeter sounding!

Edited by purk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Heard them at a Massdrop table at a recent Bay Area meet. Don't remember the various amp/dac combos (they were all Chinese units Massdrop regularly offers for sale). Not sure if there was any synergy there. I know a ton of vague comments have stated they're top-level (HD800s strangely often mentioned) in overall sound quality. I don't get that at all. Color me disappointed (which for the record was the case with a lot of newish gear at the meet). Throw several caveats on "for closed" and specific music and "maybe with different gear" and I'd feel differently. Liked the D2000s for what they were. Different expectations and all that.

• 2 weeks later...