Fostex TH-900 -- $2K flagship headphone from Fostex is super sexy and closed

Dusty Chalk

Moon Audio has them on their 10% sale periodically - you can save a couple hundred there. I was pleasantly surprised (only other dynamic Fostex I've heard is the Denon line which they are the OEM for) but perhaps they could make this with a less exotic lacquer and knock off like $800.

Listen to some at headroom, thought they were pretty good, but not sure they're worth the big bucks. Jus' sayin'. You may want to wait til you get to hear them before committing. Much better than they sounded at RMAF last year though.

Agreed. I thought they sounded slightly better than the D7000 (better controlled bass and less ringing in the treble), but only 5-10% better I'd reckon.

Well, I'm curious about them myself and glad that Dusty asked some questions. For 2K, it is in O2 territory as well as the HE60 price wise. Might be better off buying the O2 if you already have a good stats amp.

Edited by purk

Listen to some at headroom, thought they were pretty good, but not sure they're worth the big bucks. Jus' sayin'. You may want to wait til you get to hear them before committing. Much better than they sounded at RMAF last year though.

Are you going to measure them. The relationship to the Denon's is not a plus to me.

When I had them on long term loan, I had to apply EQ to push down the bass and a spot in the treble. They are very clean sounding for dynamics - probably one of the cleanest sounding dynamics. Much less distortion and more articulate than the Denons. Not worth $2K though.

Edited by purrin

There's a little distortion spike around 3.5k which corresponds roughly with some minor resonance at 7k (easily audible). It was tolerable for me, but I notched it down via EQ anyways. Otherwise, actual HD distortion measurements were excellent across the board including the bass. Some 2nd order in the bass, but 3rd order was very low. Overall distortion, esp from 500Hz on was very very low ~ 0.11%. I'll let Tari post them here.

Tyll's results corroborate mine (they actually indicate better results - but our methods are different. I take mine with the headphone calibrated to 90db SPL/A with white-noise).

Edited by purrin