Blue Hawaii Special Edition

pabbi1

It's Super Cool Baby Elephant's!

I apologize for the inferior source! And the color came out bad. Here's another photo with better lighting and color and a better source. Please excuse the tubes, just pretend that they are Philips EL34 DD-getter brown base instead.

frontview.jpg

Yay! I've managed to tame down the brightness in the system! I'm listening now to the HE90 with the DD-getter tubes, and it's pure bliss. :D

Crystal clear sound, oodles of refinement, liquidity and smoothness, expansive and immersive soundstage/headstage, excellent realism, details, imaging and dynamics, accurate tonality and tonal balance, extended and crisp treble without harshness, etc. etc. blah blah blah.

I've been questioning whether the BHSE is suitable for the HE90, and now I can report that the answer is a resounding yes! I haven't even changed tubes yet, I'm planning on sticking to the DD-getter for a longer period of time so I can become more familiar with its characteristics.

What changed? It's a secret, but I'll say that it was cabling, and that the changes involved going down in price, not up! How's that for "placebo effect"? :P

Anyway, whatever you think about cables, I'm here to report that the BHSE works perfectly well with the HE90. It could very well be my favorite headphone. :D

Sigh...

Sell the Aristaeus, keep the HE90! You will reach nirvana!

I think it's possible that I may have one of the best-sounding HE90 systems in the world. :dance: Hee, hee. Are there other BHSE owners using it with the HE90?

Team HE90+BHSE Rules! Who cares about Stax? I don't care what Spritzer says about the HE90 vs O2mk1, he sold his HE90 long ago and doesn't remember how it sounds, haha. :P How about the SR-Omega? ;)

Well, OK, sure there are people with better sources. I hate those D-03/P-03 people. And EMM Labs, mbl, dCS people. And those Berkeley Alpha people. I hate people with R-to-R sources too. Yeah, I hate a lot of people.

There's also that WES, and maybe the A-10. Can someone confirm that the BHSE drives the HE90 better than the WES and A-10? I would like you a lot.

Sell the Aristaeus, keep the HE90! You will reach nirvana!

I think it's possible that I may have one of the best-sounding HE90 systems in the world. :dance: Hee, hee. Are there other BHSE owners using it with the HE90?

Team HE90+BHSE Rules! Who cares about Stax? I don't care what Spritzer says about the HE90 vs O2mk1, he sold his HE90 long ago and doesn't remember how it sounds, haha. :P How about the SR-Omega? ;)

Well, OK, sure there are people with better sources. I hate those D-03/P-03 people. And EMM Labs, mbl, dCS people. And those Berkeley Alpha people. I hate people with R-to-R sources too. Yeah, I hate a lot of people.

There's also that WES, and maybe the A-10. Can someone confirm that the BHSE drives the HE90 better than the WES and A-10? I would like you a lot.

Elephas,

Could you elaborate why do you prefer the HE-90 to the OII? I'm trying to save up some money for the BHSE myself, but at the current rate.....it could take 2 years.

I prefer the HE90 over the O2 due largely to following characteristics:

1. Larger soundstage/headstage

2. Larger sound images, which leads to a more immersive listening experience for me. An analogy might be HE90 = movie theater, O2 = 60 inch TV home theater. The home theater is great, and the 1080p TV is superb, but it isn't the same as a movie theater experience.

3. Midrange. Arguably, the HE90's might be more colored than the O2's, but I think the coloration is very slight and it is very pleasant. An analogy might be makeup on a woman. The makeup just makes her more attractive, even though it isn't "neutral." Maybe full makeup is a bit too much for the analogy. Just lipstick, then.

4. Brighter sound, which enhances the headphone listening experience. It might not be exactly natural, or neutral-sounding, but an immersive headphone listening experience isn't exactly natural either. True, I probably don't hear the same crystal clear treble notes at a live orchestra performance, but that's a different type of experience anyway. I prefer the HE90's treble over the O2's, which is relatively dark and laid-back.

The O2 is superior in some ways, such as bass impact, imaging precision and the details and definition of the edges of notes. Other factors are more or less close. And if you catch me at the right time when I'm listening to the O2mk1 or O2mk2, I'll probably say it's my favorite!

Thank you for your helpful comparison - I agree, except I prefer the O2's strengths against the HE90's strengths - at least on an Aristaeus and again, I'd probably prefer the HE90 on some days on some music.

It's the bass that swings it for me though ;-)

I agree also, even though my experience with the HE-90 is limited. That is a very nice comparison Elephas. I also prefer the O2's strengths compared to the HE-90's. I also feel that the SR-Omega is a somehat HE-90ed O2 in that it has a larger soundstage and headstage than the O2 and also has a more extended HF range.

Yep, I think the SR-Omega is close to the HE90 in many ways, including a larger soundstage/headstage and brighter sound than the O2. I have to say it is my favorite too. ;)

I don't think that the Aristaeus really drives the O2 very well. It's OK, but I didn't want to use it with the O2 anymore after getting an ES1. I think it's roughly about the level of a KGSS. There's quite a jump in the O2's performance, I think, going from a 717, KGSS or Aristaeus to the BHSE.

Similarly to the O2, the HE90 driven by the Aristaeus and by the BHSE is quite different. It is much more dynamic matched with the BHSE.

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided I'm most likely going to keep the BHSE. I was previously entertaining the thought of eventually selling it, but I don't think I'll be able to now. Listened to Julia Fischer's Bach Concertos disc twice last night and it was the most amazing thing I've heard. I was liking the HP1000's portrayal a lot, but the OII/BHSE just plain beat it into submission. It was so intensely awesome, the only thing I can compare it to is similar to that point in time while skiing and you see an edge coming up but can't see anything below and for one hairy moment you feel anticipation, adrenaline, fear, & even time itself. The entire CD was like that all the way through (well most of the tracks, not counting the slower pieces). :o Granted that's a recording-dependent aspect but the OII/BHSE translated it in a way the HP1000 couldn't even dream of. It was scintillating and intensifying and almost kinda scary. I'm still getting breathless just thinking about it. :)

I KNEW I should have told you to break that CD. ;)

Well I haven't listened to the CD with the JH13 yet (which I'm looking forward to doing), so my opinion could still change.... :P

I know i've only waited about a year so far for the BHSE, compared to some of you guys who have waited much longer, but I need to stop reading these kinds of posts. They really make it harder to wait much longer.:D

Mine took just under a year for Justin to do, so yours might be close. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Attention all BHSE owners:

Go out, get on the tube sites, get on eBay, wherever, Now! and buy a quad of Philips EL34 metal base!

I assume all BHSE owners have either an O2mk1 or O2mk2. I think these Philips metal base are the perfect match for the O2's. Yes, they're not easy to find and may be expensive, but your ears, the amp and the O2's deserve them.

Team O2 + Metal Base rules!