Blue Hawaii Special Edition

pabbi1

The Plinius CD-101 has officially swayed me back to the electrostat side. :D

I was less than impressed with the OII/BHSE out of the Cary 306 Pro (even in balanced mode), but out of the Plinius it's amazing! I wish everyone could hear what I'm hearing, it's one of the most awesome listening experiences I've had yet. It really is true that the OII is very source-sensitive. I like the OII even more now, now that I've heard it properly sourced. My mind has been blown and I'm starting to really understand the advantage of the OII. :)

Got my SR-404 LE from Elusive Disc yesterday and it sounds promising but I'll have to spend more time with it. Also looking forward to trying my KT77s, which will be very soon....

The Plinius CD-101 has officially swayed me back to the electrostat side. :D

I was less than impressed with the OII/BHSE out of the Cary 306 Pro (even in balanced mode), but out of the Plinius it's amazing! I wish everyone could hear what I'm hearing, it's one of the most awesome listening experiences I've had yet. It really is true that the OII is very source-sensitive. I like the OII even more now, now that I've heard it properly sourced. My mind has been blown and I'm starting to really understand the advantage of the OII. :)

Got my SR-404 LE from Elusive Disc yesterday and it sounds promising but I'll have to spend more time with it. Also looking forward to trying my KT77s, which will be very soon....

Your journey should be just about over then - Congrats! Now you can focus on the music. Will you have this at the CanJam @ RMAF? I would love to hear it, as would others. You should let Sherwood know if you are so he can get you table space. I'll be there with the ZDT and GES running off the PS Audio DAC, with 1-3 dynamic phones and 1-3 stats, and either a Macbook or CD5001 as transport (well, I will bring HEV70 for Dinan to compare to the GES with HE60).

FYI Larry, the BHSE will be at RMAF but not the Plinius unless I can fix an issue it has (which seems unlikely). Also I'm sure you want to hear it, but you'll have to acquiesce listening priority to RMAF attendees per standard protocol for an event of this type. ;) If you don't get a chance to hear it at RMAF don't worry, a mini-meet after RMAF can always be arranged you know.

And I already have the KT77s which I got some months ago, it's a matched quad of the Genalex Gold Lions.

FYI Larry, the BHSE will be at RMAF but not the Plinius unless I can fix an issue it has (which seems unlikely). Also I'm sure you want to hear it, but you'll have to acquiesce listening priority to RMAF attendees per standard protocol for an event of this type. ;) If you don't get a chance to hear it at RMAF don't worry, a mini-meet after RMAF can always be arranged you know.

Absolutely understand.

PS: If you don't like the Cary as the source, I could loan you my Apogee mini-DAC with sigma 11 PSU (n_maher built s11) if you think it might be even slightly better in terms of synergy.

I can now confirm that the Genalex Gold Lion KT77s work just fine in the BHSE. :) The tubes have been running for hours and seem to be stable. I couldn't get them exactly to 0VDC but they're within 0.2V (assuming that's ok?).

The most immediately noticeable changes to SQ are more mid-bass and more PRAT. The bass sounds "rounder" if that makes any sense, kinda like it's being cushioned, but there's more impact and force. And the more PRAT is really fun, it makes stuff like Porcupine Tree even more headbang-worthy. These tubes combined with my source provide a really fun, fast, & bassy sound that I really like.

PS: If you don't like the Cary as the source, I could loan you my Apogee mini-DAC with sigma 11 PSU (n_maher built s11) if you think it might be even slightly better in terms of synergy.

No thanks, and I did say in my post above that I prefer the sound of my Plinius CDP over the Cary.

I can now confirm that the Genalex Gold Lion KT77s work just fine in the BHSE. :) The tubes have been running for hours and seem to be stable. I couldn't get them exactly to 0VDC but they're within 0.2V (assuming that's ok?).

The most immediately noticeable changes to SQ are more mid-bass and more PRAT. The bass sounds "rounder" if that makes any sense, kinda like it's being cushioned, but there's more impact and force. And the more PRAT is really fun, it makes stuff like Porcupine Tree even more headbang-worthy. These tubes combined with my source provide a really fun, fast, & bassy sound that I really like.

No thanks, and I did say in my post above that I prefer the sound of my Plinius CDP over the Cary.

I saw that. You also said that your Plinius was malfunctioning, so I was simply offering to loan you a source for CanJam @ RMAF because of that. I'll try to be more clear next time.

I removed the stock spikes and put three Black Diamond Racing Mk4 cones and Mini Pits under both the amp section and power supply. The flat part of the cones are against the amp and the Mini Pits are serving as cone bases.

I think the sound is better so I'm going to keep this configuration.

--

Where are all the EL34 impressions?

A free quad of Treasure 6CA7 to the first person to post an EL34 shootout! Make it at least four types, please, and using at least two different headphones.

Yeah, it should be with a BHSE, of course, you guys with the two or three EL34 integrated amps don't count here. :)

bnr_everybody-tour_300x346.jpg

My Ingrid Michaelson CDs are here! I posted earlier about "Everybody" but I confess that I was listening to 320 kbps MP3 at the time. Shameful, I know.

But now the problem has been rectified and it is full speed ahead 924 kbps ALAC! I think 320 MP3 is not bad, but a BHSE system should be optimized, right? The O2mk1 and O2mk2 are sounding so good I don't feel like using the Jade or HE60 anymore. The poor Airbow SR-SC1 is completely out-classed here. I thought it managed to at least keep up, even though it placed dead last, driven by the Aristaeus. But now with the BHSE it just isn't competitive.

One thing about the BHSE that is a bit sad, the list of "listenable" headphones gets smaller. :(

The SR-404LE kicks ass. I like it more than the OII and SR-X MKIII. I think I might even like it more than the AD2000! :eek: Well it's not perfect but its sound has a lot of what I like - speed, satisfying mid-bass and mid-range, and just enough treble to not annoy me (though it'd certainly approach my ideal if there was moar treble). I find it to be a worthy competitor to the AD2K as far as my preferences go, so close that it's nearly a tie between them. I'm still using KT77s in the BHSE and have yet to find out how the stock Mullard EL34s might sound with the 404LE though. But as far as I'm concerned, the sound so far is sublime. :) My preferred music so far with the 404LE is electronica, trip-hop, pop/rock, etc. I use the OII for classical/soundtracks and jazz.

It's a dead heat between my dynamic and stat gear right now, but I don't have all the planned pieces of the dynamic system yet so the race could continue to change....

The SR-404LE kicks ass. I like it more than the OII and SR-X MKIII. I think I might even like it more than the AD2000! :eek: Well it's not perfect but its sound has a lot of what I like - speed, satisfying mid-bass and mid-range, and just enough treble to not annoy me (though it'd certainly approach my ideal if there was moar treble). I find it to be a worthy competitor to the AD2K as far as my preferences go, so close that it's nearly a tie between them. I'm still using KT77s in the BHSE and have yet to find out how the stock Mullard EL34s might sound with the 404LE though. But as far as I'm concerned, the sound so far is sublime. :) My preferred music so far with the 404LE is electronica, trip-hop, pop/rock, etc. I use the OII for classical/soundtracks and jazz.

It's a dead heat between my dynamic and stat gear right now, but I don't have all the planned pieces of the dynamic system yet so the race could continue to change....

I told you so. I feel in love with them at the meet in July.

When you've heard and been around people playing instruments for most of your life, usually in close proximity, I guess perspective is a bit different. And I gotta have my intro to Mahler 5 not sounding like I put a strip of T-shirt in between my ears and the drivers, dammit. Unless I let my amp warm up for at least 4 hours prior.

I said soft because I didn't want to say/imply that the treble wasn't well extended. And if anything I'm listening to causes me to wince, I either turn the volume down (if I like the music) or stop listening to it (if I don't like the music).

I had the SR-404 LE for a week (borrowed it from my friend) and I think that this is the phone the normal SR-404 should have always been. But I think the premium for it is a bit too much. I'd rather have a normal bias Lambda if I could find one (But I only heard the 404LE with my T1S, maybe it is much better on a moar powerful amp, different source, etc...).