Blue Hawaii Special Edition

pabbi1

A pic of my BHSE-at-work setup. Kudos to anyone who can identify the source the BHSE is sitting on. ;) (I covered up all text and logos because I didn't want anyone to identify the components and hence be able to look up their value - oh, and I've been locking them up at night too.)

Definately looks like the 306 pro sacd. But regardless I have to say you could possibly get away with the tapes over the Cary, but that shameless tape over the BHSE engraving does absolutely nothing to hide its value. The BHSE just looks expensive.:D

Thanks a lot Elephas - this sort of comparison is really helpful.

Cheers!

Top 3 would be: O2mk1, O2mk2, SR-Omega

Second tier: HE60, Jade, Airbow SR-SC1

Not recommended by me: HE90

Not recommended by me unless you want to simulate how it feels like monitoring an audio feed: 4070

It's good to see more BHSE owners appearing. It'll be great to talk more EL34 and other related things.

I borrowed the demo Acoustic Revive RGC-24 grounding thing again, and hooked it up to one of the RCA inputs. Initially I put the puck under the power supply section, roughly beneath where you can see a round toroid-looking thing through the top plate. Then I moved the puck around some, placing it beneath the amp section.

Result? Not much if any difference. So no grounding thingy for the BHSE.

Instead I got one of the RD-3 demag things for discs. :)

dibs!

You don't really need a 4070, just simulate the same type of experience by plugging an AES/EBU cable or digital RCA coax into an ear.

You don't really need a 4070, just simulate the same type of experience by plugging an AES/EBU cable or digital RCA coax into an ear.

Don't be so hard on the 4070. It does say monitor on both earcups for a reason and they were meant to replace the SR-X Mk3 Pro. :)

Edited by spritzer

Is the 4070 really that cold and sterile on the BH? There are times when closed cans really help eliminate external noise (my PC tower is not the most quiet piece; family room TV just outside my mancave, etc). In the dynamic world, Pico and Sensas provide good isolation, but a similar stat solution would also be nice. Warmish source be of benefit?

Or, are they just more neutral than the O2 and other cans in the mentioned lineup?

It does say monitor on both earcups for a reason

A-ha! So you know what I meant!

I don't know how we can have it both ways. If the SR-007 is neutral then the 4070 isn't. If the 4070 is neutral then the SR-007 isn't.

Driven by the BHSE, the O2mk1 does move closer to the 4070 in terms of tonality, tonal balance, brightness, warmth, etc. compared to other amps. But it's still warmer and darker and has more bass emphasis than the 4070. Or the 4070 is colder and brighter and has less bass emphasis. How can both be neutral?

Neutral ~ Highlander: There can be only one.

The 4070 is also colder than the Airbow SR-SC1.

OK, I'm exaggerating about the 4070's excessive "monitor" qualities. I think it is somewhat similar in terms of tonality to the K701 or HD800, which are not headphones that I dislike.

All right, I admit it, what really annoys me most about the 4070 is my weak, thin neck.