Blue Hawaii Special Edition

pabbi1

Bian He's Jade is a piece of jade which plays an important part in many historical stories in Ancient China. Found in the State of Chu by a man named Bian He, it was first made into a jade disc, then into the Imperial Seal of China by Qinshihuang.

In the Spring and Autumn Period (770BC - 476BC), Bian He in the Chu state got a rough jade on Mount Chu. He decided to present the valuable jade to the emperor to show his official loyalty to his sovereign, Chuli. Unluckily, the jade was judged as a common stone by the court jadders, which made Emperor Chuli very angry, and had Bian He's left foot cut down cruelly.

Bian He decided to submit the jade to Chuwu to clarify matters after the enthronement of the new emperor Chuwu. Emperor Chuwu also had it checked by the jadders in the court. And the conclusion resulted in the same fact that Bian He lost the other foot.

After the death of Emperor Chuwu, the prince Chuwen was enthroned, that gave the poor Bian He a gleam of light of proving his clear conscience. However, the moment he thought of what he had incurred, he couldn't help crying beside a hill. He could not stop crying for several days and nights; he almost wept his heart out and even blood was dropping from his eyes. And it happened to be heard by the emperor in the court. He ordered his men to find out why he was so sad. Bian He sobbed out "Call a spade a spade. Why was a real jade mistaken as a plain stone again and again? Why was a loyal man thought faithless time and time?" Emperor Chuwen was touched by Bian He's deep grief and ordered the jaders to open the jade to have a close look. To their astonishment, in the rough coat, the pure content was sparkling and translucent. Then it was carefully cut and polished fine and at last the jade became a rare treasure of the state of Chu. In memory of the faithful man Bian He, the emperor named the jade by Bian He. And so the term "Bian He's Jade" came into being.

Strange why they decided to name the 'stat the Jade.

• 3 months later...

I read this about the Shuguang Treasure KT88-Z tubes from Audio Asylum (Audio Asylum Thread Printer)

Shuguang only matches actual plate current values at the factory; other parameters, particularly transconductance, are checked qualitatively (good/bad). Are they lazy? No. Apparently, there is no point in testing fresh tubes for those other values, because with these coated tubes, they really do have to burn in for 300 hours before such measurements would mean anything.

I ran my first quad for 85 hours before I got word the factory wanted to replace them all, but by 85 hours they produced sonics that would convince anyone used to any other KT88's. And upon re-measurement, it appeared the Gm values were starting to rise -- so maybe these tubes do in fact require a long burn-in time just to achieve their "new tube" specifications.

Of course those of you familiar with the Canadian seller's pitch regarding alleged "additional testing and matching" (for which he tacks on an additional $300!) might question what value that would have if carried out before 300 hours of operation ;--)

Maybe I was too hasty in trying and dismissing the Shuguang Treasure 6CA7-Z tubes? 300 hours is a long time, I think I only used the Treasure for a total of 20-25 hours.

I do doubt it very much. The SED EL34 is said to have similar coatings yet there are no wild claims about needing 300 hours before they can be measured properly. I'm always vary of claims made by some importer which has to defend an excessive markup...

• 2 years later...

Although I haven't heard the BHSE I do have it on order, I'm 15th on the list and I think Justin's doing 8 or 9 at a time meaning hopefully mine will be in the next batch. I've also placed an order for the Aristaeus so when I have them both I'll be able to do a comparison.

WTF the reviewer thinks the BHSE is warm and less detailed than the other "top end" electro amps ....

Yeah, it's just too stupid. Only the T2 and BHSE can dig up this level of detail.

What other top amps though, the WES with way too many caps in the signal path and a horrible design or the A-10 which reaches 5% THD a low levels and just keeps on rising? Fucking idiots...

While I'm not very good at describing SQ, I like to think I've chosen the right amps [ with the help of a certain person ] because where I live I'm not able to audition them. The two amps I've ordered are BHSE and Aristaeus to which hopefully I'll be receiving the BHSE in two or three weeks. When that happens does anybody think I'll be having more orgasms ?

Dave.

P.S. I wish I'd have joined Head-case sometime ago because I'm enjoying the reading.