HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

after riding a road bike for a bit i've started lowering the mtb a little. even after lowering it i have negative drop. with no spacers, the stem flipped, and replacing the riser with a flat bar, i think i'd be at even

Lens-Santa-Cruz-Tallboy-Carbon-1.jpg

i dont know how the tall people ride down a hill like this

Edited by justin

All of my mountain bikes are setup with the bars higher or level with the seat.  Low bars on a mountain bike don't make sense unless you're doing XC racing.  For all other riding you want to be more upright for better balance and so that you have more room to move your weight around to control & balance the bike in rough terrain.  Trying to have a road bike position on a mountain bike is stupid IMO, unless all you're doing is riding gravel roads in which case you should be on a cross bike.

Rode a different route with Chris today that took us over a large bridge into Maryland followed by a never ending hill up into Maryland.  I think while I am in better shape now I might actually be in worse cycling shape now that I only ride once a week at most.  

Today was fun but the wind on the Mad Fibers was a bit disconcerting as my front wheel would randomly just twist in the wind.

I did two loops at Patapsco today with the beginners group, it was quite a lot of fun with a bunch of new experiences. Roots...lots and lots of roots and logs to jump over, though what was really hard for me were the roots on the steep climbs, those were particularly rough. Creek crossings were interesting as well, soaked shoes are fun to pedal in :P