HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

So I decided to ignore the thermometer this morning and ride to work.  I got up at 5:30, had a quick banana and watched the tempterature drop as I got ready to go, WTF?  Anyway, it was 20.1F when I left the house and I had a slight headwind the whole way so this afternoon's ride should be a good 25 degrees warmer and holds the promise of a slight tail wind.

• Like 1

Not bad, pretty standard procedure which hopefully will have an excellent outcome, with way less hassle and quicker recovery than the old fashioned 8 shape bandage. Best wishes!

I think in the u.s. only about 5% of closed clavicle fractures get the surgery. But i dont know if thats because with our system people wont/cant pay the cost of the surgery. It would heal without it, its just displaced about 15mm. I dont want to lose strength or range of motion or be lopsided or take forever to heal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think in the u.s. only about 5% of closed clavicle fractures get the surgery. But i dont know if thats because with our system people wont/cant pay the cost of the surgery. It would heal without it, its just displaced about 15mm. I dont want to lose strength or range of motion or be lopsided or take forever to heal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here it isn't the most common method for closed, not much displaced fractures either. With "standard procedure" I meant that it's an easy intervention for any qualified traumatologist. Even myself not being one of them would do it ;D The good part is that your recovery will be much faster and functional results, probably better. The pseudarthrosis risk is much reduced. The only higher risk is that of infection, but still it is an acceptable one considering all the expectable benefits of the intervention.

Were I in your situation, I'd rather be operated too.

decided to put off that surgery. i needed to get more opinions. went to another guy, he also said to get surgery as it may not heal without it, but said he would not use the titanium plate but instead use this rod inside the hole in the bone which he said he invented/helped invent

http://sonomaorthopedics.com/products/clavicle-fracture-solutions/

requires smaller incision to install, and can also be removed later the same way. so no issues with people complaining about the plate causing irritation on their skin or pain when something touches it. still need to read some more about it

he said my only non-surgical option is to wear the figure 8 brace and see if it moves into a position where it could heal, so i've got the brace and am going back in a week for an x-ray. but it seemed like he was just satisfying my need to try the brace as he would put me on the schedule for surgery next friday anyway

Interesting. I really don't see how he can put that inside the bone marrow using a smaller incision, since to place it he'll need to expose the whole fracture trace, and being able to manipulate the bone extremes. That can be accomplished by using smaller incisions, but I don't really see the advantage. Probably more evident if the skin is damaged for an open fracture, which is not your case. A plate with a few screws seems simpler to place and if there's any pain or problems after the fracture heals, it can be removed too. It's true that his invention doesn't lay directly under the skin, and that can be a huge advantage in some cases, specially skinny people. But it's not less true that it asks for further bone manipulation.

If the figure 8 bandage manages to get a good fracture alignment and you feel comfortable wearing it, it's the least aggressive solution, but if the fragments don't really get in touch or are not aligned, you'd be better served with the surgery. Also recovery times are much faster. Moto GP riders, who get clavicle fractures almost every season, can ride again within days after the surgery. This season Jorge Lorenzo rode his bike for a race just about 36 hours after the surgery. Not that it's a sensible practice, but gives you an idea on how fast you'll be able to get back to your normal life.

Justin, the system makes sense and it's possible it requires smaller incisions and perhaps less manipulation. I hadn't heard of it before, and I don't think this is a standard procedure over here, so don't have any first or reliable second hand references. IMO it mostly depends on how confident you feel about this surgeon, and how much a surgery scares you. I've undergone surgery several times, so it doesn't scare me at all, but undoubtedly the least risky, besides the pseudarthrosis risk and longer recovery time, is the bandage. Take your time to think about it, after all it's you who'll have to bear with any outcome this has. In the end, whatever you decide will be OK and you'll have to make the most of it.