HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

No, a really bad time if you don't take preventative measures.  These include the intake of lots of fiber (including fiber supplements if necessary, prunes, lots of liquids, no juices, no caffeine, etc.

This. As soon as pain is reasonable, I'd cut opioids and would do with just tylenol and such.

Sending good vibes your way, Justin. We'll have you around in no time :D

Edited by Torpedo

This. As soon as pain is reasonable, I'd cut opioids and to with just tylenol and such.

Sending good vibes your way, Justin. We'll have you around in no time :D

This! Although I'd go with ibuprofen first. There is too much uncertain "grey area" on liver-damage coorelated cases coming to light now to really be certain what is going on with the acetaminophen's catabolism.  They may or not be a true coorelation, but I am limiting the use of this drug until there is sufficient evidence, one way or another.

This! Although I'd go with ibuprofen first. There is too much uncertain "grey area" on liver-damage coorelated cases coming to light now to really be certain what is going on with the acetaminophen's catabolism.  They may or not be a true coorelation, but I am limiting the use of this drug until there is sufficient evidence, one way or another.

There's no evidence that at the right doses there's any liver damage on the long term, but for perhaps habitual consumers hitting limit doses daily for years. However any NSAI inhibiting platelets aggregation, IMHO isn't a great idea after a surgery. Not what I'd take, but many orthopedic and traumatology surgeons prescribe them, so again, what do I know :) 

There's no evidence that at the right doses there's any liver damage on the long term, but for perhaps habitual consumers hitting limit doses daily for years. However any NSAI inhibiting platelets aggregation, IMHO isn't a great idea after a surgery. Not what I'd take, but many orthopedic and traumatology surgeons prescribe them, so again, what do I know :)

I agree with the lack of evidence at the right doses, but the range of limit dose vs toxic lower limits seems narrower compared to other choices. So why risk it...  .

I guess, the worrying part, at least for me at this point, is the uncertainty between the risk of long term use (i.e. the go to med for kid's fever, etc). and the low margin of "taking a bit too much" to supposedly cause liver damage. Anyway :)

With kids playing safe isn't a bad idea, ibuprofen is usually the election drug, but after surgeries, like tonsillectomy, paracetamol is preferred. All things accounted, IMO it's safer for your liver a daily those of 3 grs (1gr/8h) of paracetamol than 40 grs of alcohol, specially for women. However we're not speaking of needing painkillers on a daily basis for life, but just using something for a while which isn't as "dangerous" as opioids, yet effective if the pain isn't great.

Excellent news Justin! How is your energy level?

back to normal the day after surgery. the nausea only lasted about 6 hrs. when i go thursday im going at ask if i can at least do some kind of exercise, like legs only, or right arm, cause im already losing weight

Edited by justin
  • Like 1