HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

I just checked the Shimano site and according to them depending on which Dura Ace model you have the max sprocket will be either 27 or 28 teeth.  You may want to look into a long cage Ultegra for the larger cassette.  You will also need a chain for the extra links that the new gear will require.   Another option to consider is to go with some smaller chain rings paired with your old cassette which will give a lower gearing option without having to change out the more expensive bits of your drivetrain.  Be aware that the second option will really only work if you've got a compact crank with 110 bcd chainrings.  

Our messages crossed  ;D.  If you're running a 12-25 right now with a 39-53 standard crankset about the smallest chainring you would be able to fit would be a 38.  You could also go to a 12-28 cassette with the rear changer you have now as well.  Just be very careful to make sure the chain is long enough.  I'm running a 39-53 and 12-26 on the Kirk and although I can make it up the hills here it's not fun with several of them.  I picked up a compact for when I know I'll be doing a bunch of hill work.  My Bridgestone has a compact 34-50 and 12-25 and that gives me the low gears I want now so that's the bike I'm on until I drop some more of this winter er... um padding.  I don't feel bad about not being on the Kirk due to the junk on the side of the roads this time of year.  I've also got some heavier tires on the other bike in the hopes that I may not flat.

hehehe they crossed again :)  Be aware that 12-25 and 39-53 would be pretty standard road race gearing so there's not a lot of low range with that setup.  25 years and 60lbs ago my standard across the course gearing was 13-24 42-52 and I was in MUCH better shape than I am now.  that gearing is still on my Serotta and on the rare occasion that I take that bike out my knees threaten rebellion every single time.  and that's on generally flat terrain!  When the 39 replaced the 42 as the "standard" road bike chain ring it made things better for just about everybody who went that direction.  Now we have the further advantages of the compact crank setup which opens even more options.    

If you want to find out about gear inches and such punch  into a search bar    sheldon brown gear calculator .  that will take you to a site where you can play around with different options and such which will show in inches of travel what your choices would have.  It's a nice tool to use when considering things like cassettes and chainring sizes.

English would normally refer to the threading whereas BB30 is some sort of pressed in external cups. From what I could find for specs, all the CAAD9s I looked at showed BB30 FSA BBs (1, 4 and 5). Take this with a grain of salt since I don't know shit about most modern BB systems.

The crank that I have is setup for GXP (a SRAM specific BB) but should (I think) work with an english threaded frame.  Granted, it'd require a new BB that I don't have which is probably enough to mean that you shouldn't go down that road.  If you figure out what you're actually running for a BB I can probably hunt down a used compact crank for you. 

Regardless if you want to talk cassettes just shoot me a PM.  They're pretty easy to come by on the bike nerd forums.

Have not ridden as much as I would like in the past couple of weeks due to work.  I did manage to get out this morning for a very quick 5 miles.  It's better than nothing.  I headed for the steepest hill on the base just to see what I was up against.  I got about half way up before I had to turn around.  I don't know what the grade is but my truck does not even like to go up it.  I ended up zig-zagging going up due to the steepness.  My goal is to make it to the top some time this year. 

Mess is right. I'll stick with square taper. One of the quys I know from BF had his BB30 chew itself to pieces and had to abandon the DD last year.

I've done some reading on integrated headsets as well. What a great idea <<shudder>>

The crank that I have is setup for GXP (a SRAM specific BB) but should (I think) work with an english threaded frame.  Granted, it'd require a new BB that I don't have which is probably enough to mean that you shouldn't go down that road..

I'm almost sure you're correct, Nate. If Dan's frame has an English threaded BB, the SRAM crank will work on it but only with the SRAM GXP/English threaded BB, not with the current Shimano one he's using.

There are adaptors such as from Wheels Manufacturing and Praxis that fit GXP or Shimano threaded BB's in the BB30 standard. For GXP you'll need the (2) bearings, and adaptor cups from Wheels Mfg. Circlips also if you don't have them--not sure if you need bearing covers or not. Very simple to install. For Shimano there is the Praxis conversion BB, which is what I'm trying on the CAAD 10.

A Compact crankset will give you climbing gears without having to go to a 32t cassette, with its long cage derailleur and wider gaps between gears. Wide gaps are the worst. Compact crank first always, if given the chance.

Edited by pigmode

Decided to shrink the bike a bit as I'm most likely going to be shrinking a bit and/or becoming less flexible in coming years. It's weird to be of an age where that's a big consideration. The previous pic I posted of the frame design would fit me now, but not give me any wiggle room. I talked with Dave, who agreed, and this is the frame that will be built, starting tomorrow. Screenshot2013-04-01at95941AM_zps63d4d68

As do I. That was my main issue with the last one. It was 52.5 with an 80 stem. I know the geometry is different, but I have a 52 with a 70 stem on my Calfee, which feels good, but I'm maxed out with reach. There would be zero wiggle room for changes if I had the 80 stem on this build as I shrink into a shriveled old lady, hopefully still riding. :)

Smart thinking Vicki.  Dave is among if not the best at working with fit and needs of the people he builds frames for.  I think that's part of why he gives  the 20 questions form so that he can get a vibe for those things that the hard numbers can't tell him by the fitting sheets.  

^ I'm unlikely to ever do that.  :)

Just got this email:

Hello,

I had a good long day doing prep work on your bike and never got interrupted by the UPS man with painted bikes.

Today I did prep work - inspecting tubes, setting the jig, mitering tubes, brazing subassemblies (chainstays, fork blades and crown) and last but not least lug fitting.

Tomorrow I’ll finish the lugs by shaping them and then jump into brazing the front triangle together and I should have time to braze the fork too.

Feel free to share the photos however and wherever you like - they are yours to do with as you please..........more photos tomorrow.

Dave

DSC_0512_zpsa22ea32e.jpg

DSC_0552_zps5d1acc7e.jpg

DSC_0554_zps45e26f9f.jpg

• Like 2