HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Have you guys looked at the Soma Hwy 1 bars? I guess you are looking for a deeper drop Raffy, so those probably won't do it. Seem to be popular with a lot of people, particularly with ergos/brifters.

You're right Chris, the Highway 1 bars are very similar to what I have right now. I'm currently runnign 75 reach/125 drop bars and I'd like to stay close to the same reach while increasing the drop to 135-140. Seems like the Deda Newton Shallows are the only bars in this category. The deeper drop "belgian" bars have too much reach for me; I can probably handle the drop but not the reach on those.

You can't lower the stem to achieve the same thing? I would guess not being threadless, unless you have spacers in there?

My stem is already slammed as I bought a relaxed geometry bike (Specialized Roubaix). I love the bike but I wish the front end wasn't so tall, especially since my body dimensions require short headtubes (which I only found out after I got a real fitting). In any case, my position on the drops is ideal now and I just want a tad bit more drop on the drops. 

From Dave's email today:

I got a full day in today finally and made very good progress. I brazed the front end together, added the braze-ons, got all the flux cleaned off, checked the alignment and finally got it all cleaned up and ready to add the rear end.

Tomorrow the rear goes on!

DSC_0586_zps4fb0288c.jpg

DSC_0588_zps22418678.jpg

DSC_0592_zps93ab4308.jpg

DSC_0594_zps7d0f4d5a.jpg

DSC_0596_zps6702444a.jpg

DSC_0599_zps01768716.jpg

DSC_0606_zps80acc616.jpg

No matter how many time's I've seen the pictures it's just cool to see another one come to life.   :)   One of the neat things about Dave as well as some of the other top tier builders is that they only use the jigs for tacking the frames and such together.  Once they've got the tubes tacked in place the frame comes out of the jig and generally put in a park stand where they will silver solder the frame.  They do this so that there aren't stresses induced as the frame takes shape.  Another thing that they do is they all have a particular sequence they will braze the tubes in.  They do this so that the frames will come out of the process straight and not need a bunch of alignment work after the fact.  It's pretty esoteric but cool stuff.

Looking very cool, Vicki.  I can't imagine the excitement/anticipation.

Me: got out for a nice 25ish mile ride after work today.  It was windy but I managed a decent pace and felt pretty good.  Temps over the weekend and into early next week are supposed to get into the low 60s which would be outstanding.  I'm hoping that next week I'll get my first ride into work.

I don't know if it was the ~1.5 hours of being stretched out, riding, or just the weather, but I noticed tonight that (aside from being stiff after sitting for 2-3 hours in a row at work), my back hasn't been hurting.  It's pretty much been constantly hurting (unless I was on meds/steroids) since the back surgery 1.5 years ago.

Raining today and tomorrow, but low 70s and sunny all weekend.  Going to shoot for at least 20 miles, and hopefully hook up with the easier shop ride at my LBS.  May even try for the Trek shop ride Saturday.  There's a beginner ride on Monday night... sounds about my speed.

V, where are today's pix?

**BRENT**

• Like 1

Hope that the pain relief continues for you Brent that is awesome!

I did an hour last night on the Computrainer with the "Fight Club" training video from Sufferfest. The name of the company is very accurate: That absolutely whooped my ass. It will be a while until I can successfully do those videos but hoping to give it a try 2x a week during the work week. I wish I could ride outside but that's just not possible with the hours I am currently working.

Edited by Dreadhead

^ I get that, Chris. I'm riding on a Computrainer during the week because I don't have enough time to get out on the road early before work, and don't like the traffic later in the day.

Brent, that's great your back is doing better. I was actually a bit worried for you when you got the bike.

Nate, and any cold weather folks, hope the warm weather keeps coming your way.

My frame was completed yesterday, but I got home too late to post up pics, and am running out the door right now. It's gorgeous, but now off to Joe Bell. I'll get the pics up this weekend.

U-Haul is finally putting the hitch on my Vibe (they'd ordered the wrong one a couple weeks ago), on Saturday morning, and I'll have my new rack ready to go! We've got some stormy weather here, but it should clear up over the weekend, and I'm hoping to get a couple good rides in.

Looking forward to the pics and seeing the final product. I may have missed it but did you decide on paint and logo? I'd be tempted to clear coat what I've seen so far :)

Getting to work by 6:15am and leaving at 4 to head home to cook dinner and hang out with Ben until bed time (7pm) doesn't leave any time for riding. Not going to change any of it but it's a fact.

Brent, glad to hear you're finally getting some pain relief!

Chris, Fight Club is the first Sufferfest video I bought. It is a complete ass whooping! Those short, sharp attacks they ask you to do are totally draining and same thing for the 3 minute climb for each segment. I think I've only finished it 2-3 times.

I use my other video, There Is No Try more as it's easier and more fun (except for the 2 x 4 minute TT segment). The 15 and 30 second intervals are awesome as well as the low cadence climb portion.