HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

^ Nice!

Started email conversations with Dave Kirk.  He is recommending I don't go with the Terraplane seat stays, which I'll admit slightly disappoints me as I think they look cool, and are one thing that makes a Kirk bike a Kirk, but his reasoning is that due to my seat tube being small, the seat stays are quite naturally going to be small, and the Terraplane option wouldn't really offer any noticeable benefit in performance or comfort.  He's suggesting straight seat stays as he can then use the lightest stays he has, which will cut some weight and still provide a nice ride.  I, of course, am going  with any recommendation he has.  This one will save me $350, which, I suppose, salves my temporary disappointment.

Might have to look into the TDC here. From what I can tell, it starts from < 10 miles from here.

I've had my Trek done for awhile, but hadn't had the opportunity to shoot some pics of it. Went our for an 11 mile ride this afternoon, and shot some pics after I got back. I know with all the Kirks and such around here, this isn't much, but it rides nice and for a lower-end mid-80s Trek, it is fairly light (~23 or so lbs). Campy hubs FTW.

2013-03-28055438_zps8ef771d2.jpg

2013-03-28055509_zpse7cffda7.jpg

2013-03-28055538_zpsd016c616.jpg

2013-03-28055559_zps7344b099.jpg

Might have to look into the TDC here. From what I can tell, it starts from < 10 miles from here.

I've had my Trek done for awhile, but hadn't had the opportunity to shoot some pics of it. Went our for an 11 mile ride this afternoon, and shot some pics after I got back. I know with all the Kirks and such around here, this isn't much, but it rides nice and for a lower-end mid-80s Trek, it is fairly light (~23 or so lbs). Campy hubs FTW.

2013-03-28055438_zps8ef771d2.jpg

Great bike. :thumbsup:

Great looking bike.  I definitely recommend the TDC as I am a big fan of the cause.  I will be riding as a Team Red member, as a Type 1 Diabetic, so I hope to represent.

Probably should be out riding now but I definitely need to do a ride tomorrow of longer than normal mileage as I am way out of practice.

• Like 1

Screenshot2013-03-29at91112AM_zpse40214b

Looks like Monday may be build day!

Comparing to the numbers on my Gunnar, here's Dave's last email:  

I’ve worked with your numbers and info and like how it all comes together. I 
don’t want to make any drastic changes to your fit based on what I see. I’d 
like a bit less bar drop and a few millimeters more reach (together they 
should mean the same body angles).

I’ve also worked the numbers so they handling should be right on and you 
should have no toe overlap.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns and I’ll do my best to 
address them.

I have all your raw materials in stock and will be ready to start the build 
on Monday if we both feel good about the design

Yay Vicki!

As for me, I took the first ride today.  10 days since I got the bloody bike before I could ride it (due to rain, being busy, not being manly enough to ride in sleet/snow/3x* weather, like Nate and Chris).

20130329_191304_1.jpg

20130329_191055.jpg

I <3 clipless pedals, I forgot how much better they are (for me).  I got out for about an hour, and rode about 40 minutes of it (stopped for pictures, cleat adjustment, seat adjustment, re-learning clipless pedals with a gimp leg, etc). I rode around the complex (slight hill to the back, then a fun trip down, along with speedbumps).  I got my cleats adjusted and headed out on the road.  I rode down the 3/4 of a mile to where my kids go to summer camp.  There's a longish parking lot with 4 rows of parking, 2 on the sides and 2 in the middle, with islands around the middle ones.  I worked on cornering and just getting a feel for the road again.  I did a ton of down and backs, just getting used to it.

The bike just flies.  The frame, even though it's no name carbon, seems to be pretty nice.  It was pretty smooth, yet still perfectly responsive.  I could feel the pavement underneath me well, but it wasn't muted, just... had the volume turned down.

I had a lot of fun for the short amount of time I got in today.  I really want to keep track of how far I ride, and I didn't think to set an app on my phone til I got home, but I'm diggin' this, and can't wait to do more.

**BRENT**

Envy. Few frame builders have the experience Dave has. Not sure for how many seasons, but he has built the custom frames for the 7-11 team.

I know.  I actually feel undeserving in comparison to all the riders he has, and still builds for, but I'll love it just as much, if not more.  The numbers are nearly identical to my Gunnar, (seat tube 1cm shorter; top tube 1.5 cm longer, and I'm sure some angle differences that I don't know about), which I like because after the last seat raise (identical to his recommendation), it's perfect.  I do like the drop I have currently, but I'm trusting Dave.  

I sold Treks during that era and had a pink 770 it was the era of Miami Vice after all ;D .  Wow it's a shocker to think about how long ago that actually was.   Cool carbon bike as well there's just all kinds of good stuff that's out there these days.  If I remember correctly Dave started with Serotta in either 88 or 89 and worked his way up from the bottom.  Vicki Isn't it cool the process that Dave uses?  The design looks like it'll be a really great road bike.  Also I've ridden tdc for the last 3 years with a group from work.  I absolutely HATE and I mean HATE that disease!  It doesn't discriminate and is just vile in the damage it can and does do.