MacBook Pro or Macbook air need advice

Get the Air - the flash storage of the Air is going to make it seem much snappier than the standard Serial ATA Drive (standard HD) in the Pro.   Plus it is lighter which I find convenient even for just walking around the house.  You could upgrade the Pro to a SSD but that would cost another $200 (assuming you get it from Apple). 

Edited by shellylh

I got a 13" Air to replace my wife's Dell last year, and it's worked out well for her. A bit of an adjustment going to Mac OS, bu not terrible. The size has been great for her, she says she's hardly aware of carrying a computer ... and the lack of required tech support from me has been swell.

I'd say it depends on how often you expect your wife to take the Air out of the house.

The more it lives at a desk, the less chance of it being damaged by a drop or something like that. Conversely, the more you take it with you, the more likely it gets dropped, bumped, or bruised.

I'd say it depends on how often you expect your wife to take the Air out of the house.

The more it lives at a desk, the less chance of it being damaged by a drop or something like that. Conversely, the more you take it with you, the more likely it gets dropped, bumped, or bruised.

It will not be leaving the house ,just moved around in the house not on a desk.

AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage.

True, but I've found the Apple Store employees to be much more willing to give free repairs even in the case of accidents when I've had a bunch of years left on my AppleCare. Of course, YMMV.

Also whats with needing to get extended warranties for computers using SSDs? Unless you are running a server or some other I/O heavy application I don't think there is much of a chance of burning out a drive in the likely 3-5 years of use the computer will get under typical "home computer" use.

Edited by TMoney

I bought AppleCare when I bought my 15" MBP two years ago, because the laptop was expensive as heck and I didn't want to lose my investment (also, AppleCare is cheaper if you have a edu discount, which I do). Ironically, the only problem I had with the laptop happened last month, and it was a documented problem (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088) with the 2010 MBPs that Apple was fixing for free, *even if one didn't buy Applecare*. So, I wouldn't bother getting AppleCare if I bought a 13.3 inch air - no moving parts means less to break down, anyways.