CES 2013 Announcements

blessingx

I'll take one that doesn't hear itself and try to switch to some cheesy app in the middle of a show.  Or one that actually sees you when you are trying to use the hand controls and not only when you move your hand to grab a drink.  I could sit there for ten minutes telling it to turn on and it will not hear me but every time it hears something about netflix, or youtube or hulu TV or exercise it switches the TV to a whole new interface that is a pain to get back out of.

It's not 'translucent'.  I don't know what's wrong with their (TechRadar, not Samsung) eyes, it's obvious even to me that the horizon on the inner screen is not a beach horizon, but the one outside the screen is.

I mean, it might be translucent, but I don't get that from the pic.

i have a feeling this is where the rumor of a new electrostatic headphone came from

Nope, it comes from Sennheiser showing and auditioning a prototype at the international distributor meet last year. That event was meant to show the distributors what R&D were up to.

Edited by spritzer

Microsoft Surface Pro makes an appearance:

http://gizmodo.com/5974705/microsoft-surface-pro-hands+on-this-is-what-it-should-have-been-all-along

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/9/3857076/microsoft-surface-pro-in-depth-impressions

After reading the glowing impressions this is a day one buy for me. No question.

It seems like there haven't been that many big announcements this year, but this Tablet-PC convergence thing is really cool. Its the future. That, and Smartphone-PC convergence.

It's nice to see Intel get their heads back in the game. While the Intel-based tablets don't match the ARM-based tablets on power consumption, they trounce them on performance. I'm sure its not the case for everyone, but I would gladly trade a few hours of battery life for 3-5x greater performance.

ARM is going to have a real problem once Haswell and its successor Broadwell start hitting that 5W and below range.