The Knuckledragger 3rd Memorial Slow Forum Post

Knuckledragger

• 2 weeks later...

Won't embed because ...of the fricken NFL?  Wat.  It's a half hour documentary on Tom Petty.  Tom is probably the musical artist I've listened to for the longest time.  I first heard "You Got Lucky" on the radio in the early 80s and set out figuring out who it was.  As most of the fossils of HC will remember, there was no Information Age back then.  Also, the grownups I encountered weren't super interested in helping out a child figure out the name of some damn rock n roller. 

In the early 80s, the only people I knew who had cable TV were my grandparents.  This was during the dawn of MTV, which was a new and and magical horizon.  I had to sneak in my viewings, and I was lucky enough to see the video for You Got Lucky.  I was too young to understand the Mad Max reference.  I just knew I liked the song and Tom knocked over an arcade machine.  Some time after that I got my first cassette player, and I bought Long After Dark and Damn the Torpedoes ("Refugee" was another favorite of mine.)  As my musical tastes evolved and changed from metal to extreme metal to techno to downtempo to ambient, I have always revisited Tom's music and loved it.  Catch me on the right day and I'll proclaim that "Last Dance With Mary Jane" is my favorite pop song.

• 2 weeks later...

Presenting your children's dystopian AI future.

It's like no one involved in the product read  "I Always Do What Teddy Says" by Harry Harrison, written in 1965. 

If you haven't either, someone copied the text of the short story here (show full description for text, on mobile)

https://www.deviantart.com/aegiandyad/art/I-Always-Do-What-Teddy-Says-259013944

Academic reference:

https://openpublishing.psu.edu/utopia/content/i-always-do-what-teddy-says

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/22/2024 at 2:51 PM, mikeymad said:

true..... but still. .... 

Alan Parsons is a really snarky dude.  Remember, he's the one who openly leaked the quadraphonic mixes of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon because the person who did the surround mix didn't do it quite right.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2024 at 3:41 PM, Grahame said:

I can't even ...

"More than 120,000 PlayStation users have paid £3.29 to pet virtual hamsters, dogs and beavers. What’s behind this madness?"

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2024/feb/15/stroke-of-genius-how-one-developer-created-a-hit-game-in-just-30-minutes

Well, virtual beaver worship is nothing new, but I attest to not understanding it as well.