What about my orthos?

G600

Hello guys.

I'm new here, and want to thank you for welcoming me.

After some months of tube trials, I'm thinking of SS to power my orthos.

I would like to go balanced all the way, and I want your advices on which KG's amp to go.

I've read brilliant things on the B22, but it seems surpassed by the Dynahi family (balanced Dynahi, Dynamite,...) -correct me if I'm wrong-.

So what's your experience with those orthos ? Which amp must I build ?

I've read the Balanced Dynahi build thread, there are some useful tips and help there.

As I'm not deep into electronics, and a lightweight DIYer, is it an utopia to build one ?

My very best regards from old Europe.

I have found a good SS will clear out the muddy and congested mess the LCD's exhibit (except the X and XC) but not very good with the HE-5LE, 500 and 6's which are a bit sibilant sounding compared to the LCD 2 and 3. Some tube amps and orthos ime just don't match.

My passive and balanced b22 sounded pretty good with the LCD2's and 3's. I have heard a se Dynahi with the LCD3 which sounded pretty nice. The b22 is a fairly bright sounding though and the Dynahi was just right sounding, in fact the only headphone I'd recommend with the b22 is a the HD650's, a magical sounding combination if you don't like tubes. Not sure how goes the balanced Dynamites, Dynahi's, Dynalo, Dynabolt and Headamp dynamic family amp's. Probably a step up a notch from the b22. The b22 is still a great sounding amp if you pay heavy attention on your source and headphone.

Edited by DefQon

In fact I'm using LCD-2 and LCD-3 is a probable upgrade.

As said I've read many good things about B22 (and you said a good part of them in fact).

But all the attention seems to go to the Dynalo family now. I'm pretty sure SS amp are the way to make those two Audeze stellar, and choosing DIY for fun and cost.

If they can squeeze the extra juice from my LCD-2, please point me which one to go (and if I'm likely or not to fulfil it...).

I'm just now paying attention to my source, as I'm building and tweaking a DDDAC1794.

Thanks.

Dynalo works really well with HD800 and other headphones that have stood the test of time. If it fails with the FOTM, you will at least have a good amp for some real headphones. 

Was that what you were looking for? 

Edited by nikongod

If it fails with the FOTM, you will at least have a good amp for some real headphones. 

Was that what you were looking for? 

Yes, as long as you consider the LCD2 and 3 as real headphones !

My goal is to build a balanced beast, able to control them and bring them to their limits (in term of slam, control, etc... not SPL as I don't plan to become deaf that soon).

Yes, as long as you consider the LCD2 and 3 as real headphones !

Nope. I don't. 

In the 5-odd years since Sennheiser did it right the first time and came out with the HD800, Audizee has come out with 4 rolling prototype of flagship headphones. Hifiman has come out with (how many again?) top of the line orthos, and more are surely on the way! 

Don't worry, a better Ortho is just around the corner. 

I agree, the HD800 is simply better than any ortho I've ever heard.  The Dynalo drives it perfectly and even better with some output resistance added. 

The Dynalo or a balanced one will drive the LCD-2 and 3 very well but a balanced Dynahi would be utter state of the art. 

In the 5-odd years since Sennheiser did it right the first time and came out with the HD800, Audizee has come out with 4 rolling prototype of flagship headphones. Hifiman has come out with (how many again?) top of the line orthos, and more are surely on the way!

Don't worry, a better Ortho is just around the corner.

Senn did followed up the HD800 with the HD700. Cringe.

The Dynalo drives it perfectly and even better with some output resistance added. 

The Dynalo or a balanced one will drive the LCD-2 and 3 very well but a balanced Dynahi would be utter state of the art. 

Thank you, that was just what I was looking for.

The endless troll about who's right or not resurrecting/building orthos, is none of my business.

It looks like the initial thought about a balanced Dynahi is definitely the way to go.

Senn did followed up the HD800 with the HD700. Cringe.

Absolutely, but Senn said from day 1 that the HD700 was a scaled down version of the HD800. I'm all for options at various pricepoints and SQ levels. Market diversity is wonderful. But releasing a new "flagship" product every ~18 months just feels slimy. 

• Like 2

Absolutely, but Senn said from day 1 that the HD700 was a scaled down version of the HD800. I'm all for options at various pricepoints and SQ levels. Market diversity is wonderful. But releasing a new "flagship" product every ~18 months just feels slimy. 

Agree 100% on the FOTM (flagship of the month) plan at Audeze.  EDIT after seeing Rob's comment:  What about the LCD-X or LCD-XC?  I just looked at their site and they do price them lower so maybe it is meant to be some kind of lower level alternative.  But the 1-2-3 releases all happened pretty damn close together.  

I think Ric was just cringing about the HD700 because it is awful.  I haven't heard the HD700 and have no intentions of changing that status.

Edited by Voltron

Well, I actually prefer the LCD-2 to the HD800 in most cases for day to day listening. 

That said, G600, go build something and listen to it.  You've gotten plenty of good advice is this thread and all that's left is for you to figure out what you want to do with your time and $$.

Pleaaaase fellas, that wasn't the thread's purpose... Not another HF-like thread  ???

(By the way Audeze's flagship stays the LCD-3, if you don't feel that way I guess it's just you...).

That said, G600, go build something and listen to it.  You've gotten plenty of good advice is this thread and all that's left is for you to figure out what you want to do with your time and $$.

Yes, and thank you all for that. So balance Dynahi (aka Dynamite) it will be.

I'm nor starting the build right away, I have to fulfil my DAC a bit, and learn some about KG's beast, as I may be a lil' short on skills for it right now.

It'll be quite an experience for me !

Thanks !

Please don't compare anything here to HF.  Here we can state our opinion, backed up by copious experience, and it is accepted as such.  The LCD-3 isn't bad by any means but the model released three years ago is far from the current offering. 

Edited by spritzer