World Cup 2014

morphsci

Congratulations to The Netherlands on a supreme thumping of Spain. I actually like a lot of the players on the Spanish team, but it is good to see the pundits squirming in their predictions. My final four included the Netherlands, along with Germany, Brazil and Switzerland. Karen disagrees about Switzerland so we will see. If the US makes it out of their group it will be a miracle, but they are probably better than their world ranking indicates.

Not the start that Spain was hoping by any means. Defense needs to come together, otherwise, no hope, IMO

In every game there have been shoody calls, yielding penalty situations. The level of "diving" and injury faking is getting irritating.

So far, Netherlands has been a very impressive team.

:sadcat:  Well, this is just the first game and I'm still confident the team can make the next phase. In South Africa they also lost the first game against Switzerland. Main problem would be crossing against Brazil. If they're going to get the same referees' help than at their first game against Croatia...

:sadcat:  Well, this is just the first game and I'm still confident the team can make the next phase. In South Africa they also lost the first game against Switzerland. Main problem would be crossing against Brazil. If they're going to get the same referees' help than at their first game against Croatia...

Absolutely! Vamos España!

Chile! is certainly setting things on fire!

That's going to be the match indeed. I was somewhat expecting a bad result vs. Holland, not this bad, but was mentally prepared for a draw or a minimal defeat. I knew Holland would kill for a revenge after the 2010 Cup defeat at the final.

Chile made things really difficult for us last tournament, and if Spanish guys don't overcome today's game, they won't win either. They've been really worried for what happened to France after their title in 1998 and the 2002's debacle.

I don't know what you mean by that, but Italy sure does a lot of diving. :palm:

Just speculating with the idea of Italy losing the match by more goals than it seems appropriate, as Spain did yesterday :palm:

Now that the second half is starting and both look equally dangerous, that idea seems more unlikely.

Wow. Congrats to Costa Rica, the Concacaf teams are undefeated in the World Cup!

Now, my favorite part of the World Cup, listening to the pundits explain why England lost with all the talent they have. Here's a clue, who is their coach? How many championships has he won?