Head Case Motorsports

VPI

But it's also great, as it allows you to use the full power of the engine and drivetrain when you can (i.e., full pedal travel).

I think Mazda kept the basic power of the Miata engine the same for very good reasons (yes, they released the turbo Mazdaspeed in 2004-2005), because it works for the chassis and the intent of the car. Fun, but not overpowered like modern sports cars.

People have certainly increased engine power in the Miata with turbos, superchargers, and engine swaps (including rotary engines), but it's important to be mindful of the overall balance of the drivetrain... putting a 500 horsepower engine in a stock Miata is just asking for trouble.

A few competitors have risen to challenge the Miata, but none of them beats the Miata at its brief: an inexpensive, reliable sports car for everyone (Miata Is Always The Answer).

The Toyota GR86 / Subaru BRZ is certainly a great coupe, adding passenger space and practicality, but it lacks the reliability and fuel economy of the Miata. Likewise with hot hatches like the Honda Civic Type R, Hyundai Elantra N, Volkswagen Golf R, Subaru WRX (sedan), and Toyota GR Corolla... they are fast and fun, but not rear-wheel-drive like the Miata, Ford Mustang, and Chevrolet Camaro (heavier cars).

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 1

Great points again. 

That chassis can handle a good bit more power but it is very balanced stock.  There are a few guys I’ve seen at the track with power adders and/or built motors in their Miata’s and they are a lot faster. I expect they beefed up braking too. 

HS

• Like 2

Congrats on the '91 NA Miata. She's a beauty!

Dedicated track rats usually modify the suspension (tires!), brakes, and cooling first before touching the powerplant.

The Miata has huge aftermarket support and a bunch of official Spec Miata racing series as well as decades of excellence in grassroots racing.

If I was going to tinker on one (with some money), I'd get the older 2016-2018 MX-5 RF, as Mazda increased engine power in the 2019 onwards cars. Upgrading to forced induction and coilovers would increase speed and flatten the body motion Mazda engineered into the ND MX-5 suspension.

The MX-5 RF is generally considered a hard top at least for lapping days, so you wouldn't need to install a roll bar or cage until reaching higher levels of competition.

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 3

In more reality based news:  my Impreza is in the shop, so they gave me a loaner.  Turned out, it was a 2024 Crosstrek.

I get to keep it through Wednesday.

I think they want me to fall in love with it and buy it.

The first part is working.  The second part would work if I had enough money.  Except it's blue.  And I would want a moonroof/sunroof/whatever.  Everything else is :chef's kiss:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, naamanf said:

No Lucid? I’m a disappoint.  

I am disappointed too. Lucid all wheel drive models are alot more expensive than the baseline Model S. 

3 hours ago, swt61 said:

As slow as David drives, does it really matter?

I've slowed down. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My beloved 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk was stolen from the airport parking lot in Dec 2022 while vacationing.  They stopped production in 2021 so a new one was not on the books.

I found a 2018 in the same color combo, but it was misrepresented...not clean enough for me to love it and it being a first year model it wasn't as good as later production.  It will be sold before long.

Finally found a 2021 of very low mileage...literally smells brand new.  Only problem is the first owner ticked the box for the gloss black hood and roof.  The roof I can't really see and it blends into the windshield so I chose to leave it alone.  I did have a white pearl wrap affixed to the hood...I'm finally happy enough to kick off the power modifications.  

Pleased as punch I finally found a daily I can love again...and beat on...LOL.

HS

image.jpeg

IMG_6872.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Angry 1