KGSSHV Carbon Build Thread

mwl168

Just doing a diode test it was the same as the one I replaced it with (out of the board). It showed difference before I took it out though. I suppose I'd have to test it some other way to find the difference.

Edited by s_r

54 minutes ago, s_r said:

Just doing a diode test it was the same as the one I replaced it with (out of the board). It showed difference before I took it out though. I suppose I'd have to test it some other way to find the difference.

I bet the PSU will work if you put it back in ... what kind of solder and iron are you using?

The carbon is now playing music. :) Running at 20mA the sinks get properly hot. Don't have a temperature sensor on hand but I'd guess it's around 55C give or take. For reference I used 100ohm resistors before the offset instead of 182ohm. The toroid is buzzing on me unfortunately, so I'll have to see about getting that replaced. Aside from that it sounds fantastic.

• Like 1

Great looking build, especially the fact that it has 2 output sockets....    :wub:

How come there are no builds with a normal bias socket..?  Don't normal bias earspeakers deserve the best....?   :rolleyes:

Edited by wink

I like it, the all black look and the horizontal heat sink style. I just picked up my own Carbon yesterday, and having seen the other version with black heat sinks and top and realised black can look as good as all silver. Will come back with listening impressions later, don't want to swamp this forum.

Although I have a Dynalo mk1 that I got from Birgir which I'm very happy with, rather than get a KGSSHV carbon from him, it will be johnwmclean that'll be building one for me, or part building.

Now the reason for that is because after several PM's with John, he suggested I asked my local metal engineer to do the faceplate/enclosure, and in doing that I could have the size and look however I liked best.

So after giving it some thought I've gone for the size to be 17"Wx 7"H x 14"D, all approx, but the thing I like the most is the idea I had on how the faceplate will look. ( to my liking that is )

Regarding the faceplate, I was going to have titanium used, but after advice on how difficult it is to work with, I'm going with aluminium, although the volume knob will still probably be titanium.

i've yet to ask the engineer, so hopefully he'll do what I'm seeking.

There is another thing I'd be after, which is no screws showing anywhere other than the top panel, and even there they'll be countersunk. ?

P.S. The only downside with this build, is I won't have the spare money to have it done for sometime, but there's no harm in finding out from my local engineer if he'll do what I'll be after. ?

• Like 2