KGSSHV Carbon Build Thread

mwl168

3 hours ago, yuk228 said:

Thanks Kevin. In this case, Can I make use of the output of the GRLV (+15/-15V) to power up two LED for front panel indication?

Kevin already laid out an indicator LED and its current setting resistors on the PCB. Going by memory, it's the two 2K resistors and the LED at the very front edge of the GR LV PCB. The resistor values may need to be adjusted based on the regulated output voltage and choice of LED. 

3 minutes ago, Grahame said:

So I can say *cough* cable management *cough*,

about the first picture...

Yeah, that is definitely on the list for this week-end, when rack membership and arrangement should be more stable.

You can blame Birgir for almost every headphone in the second picture, and of course for the Carbon CC in the first (which is replacing both a BHSE and a KGST).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rdreyer said:

Yeah, that is definitely on the list for this week-end, when rack membership and arrangement should be more stable.

You can blame Birgir for almost every headphone in the second picture, and of course for the Carbon CC in the first (which is replacing both a BHSE and a KGST).

Sure blame me...  ;) 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rdreyer said:

(snip)

You can blame Birgir for almost every headphone in the second picture, (snip)

Did you have to readjust the headbands...?     :o

Birgir is very BIG on headphone band adjustments.......     :lol:

4 hours ago, spritzer said:

He's even worse than me in that regard so it is all good.  :) 

The SR-X Mk3 Pro's are awesome though, truly one of the best headphones Stax have ever made.  One of my goals now is to try and copy that design and improve it. 

A brilliant little headphone, I agree! It was the surprise of @rdreyer's little menagerie. Beautifully clear and transparent in the treble and mids. I thought it lacked in the bass, but prehaps that is due to it being earpad headphone and not getting any kind of a seal rather than being circumaural?

17 hours ago, purk said:

@TMoney

Nice!  How did your ECP amps did against a Stax system with KGSSHV Carbon on board?  Great looking amp!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, nothing sounds better than a good electrostatic setup. @rdreyer's is just wonderful to listen to.

18 hours ago, rdreyer said:

Thanks again for letting me come and listen!

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TMoney said:

A brilliant little headphone, I agree! It was the surprise of @rdreyer's little menagerie. Beautifully clear and transparent in the treble and mids. I thought it lacked in the bass, but prehaps that is due to it being earpad headphone and not getting any kind of a seal rather than being circumaural?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, nothing sounds better than a good electrostatic setup. @rdreyer's is just wonderful to listen to.

who's responsible for the yellow areas on the chair? was it also there before listning?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, sorenb said:

...just curious, but how old is the water can?

At least 12 years old too, since it predates our move to our current abode. It's my favorite headphone stand, as it was obviously manufactured with the SR-X Mk3 in mind.

1 hour ago, TMoney said:

It's probably caused by the stretched headband, to accommodate my franken-head, which caused a loose fit on yours.

1 hour ago, TMoney said:

Thanks for letting me listen to the HD800S, and some nice jazz.

6 minutes ago, rdreyer said:

At least 12 years old too, since it predates our move to our current abode. It's my favorite headphone stand, as it was obviously manufactured with the SR-X Mk3 in mind.

Interesting indeed. There are another member who designed an acrylic box himself for the Stax SR-009, exquisite btw, but he puts the 009 inside the box ... you on the other hand, have it outside ... 

Pre-bankruptcy Staxen >>>>> everything else

Still unsure about HE60 as pabbi1's HE60 out of that Cavalli amp (forget what it's called) sounded worse than ipod earbuds out of a dumpster, but maybe that's because he listens to everything over 9000 dB and broke them.

I bought a Gamma Pro awhile back to use as a spare in case my SR-X Pro drivers die but they ended up sounding good, too, so now I need to buy another one.

7 minutes ago, sorenb said:

Interesting indeed. There are another member who designed an acrylic box himself for the Stax SR-009, exquisite btw, but he puts the 009 inside the box ... you on the other hand, have it outside ... 

It's a Brita water filtering pitcher. Unfortunately, that model doesn't seem to be able available any longer, which is a real shame for SR-X Mk3 owners.