holy poo

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

288586880.png

Wow, this shows how bad cable internet in Vancouver is. $40/month for 10mb/s download, 1mb/s upload.

The only cable better is 25mb/s which is like $99/month.

Hey! Atleast they're giving me more than they say they would.

I do have awesome ping though. lol ^_^

• 5 months later...
Did they give you the free n_maher-albums-smileys-picture344-ninja.gif larger bill too? I got a notice from them last week that it was their pleasure to inform me that rates are going up for all 3 of the services that I have with them. I'd like to n_maher-albums-smileys-picture136-violent-smiley-019.gif Comcast.

Have you tried calling them to lower your bill? I gave them a call saying how I would like to quit and they instantly transferred me to the retention department. I told them that I was thinking about switching to Direct TV who was offering better plans/channels/prices/etc. The lady instantly offered me a cable plan upgrade for free. I ended up getting a cable TV upgrade (went from standard-def to HD with over twice as many channels) for a little less then the price before. As always, YMMV with these kinds of things.

Have you tried calling them to lower your bill? I gave them a call saying how I would like to quit and they instantly transferred me to the retention department. I told them that I was thinking about switching to Direct TV who was offering better plans/channels/prices/etc. The lady instantly offered me a cable plan upgrade for free. I ended up getting a cable TV upgrade (went from standard-def to HD with over twice as many channels) for a little less then the price before. As always, YMMV with these kinds of things.

We sort of tried that a few months ago when we dropped the sports package at the end of a promotional period, at that time they weren't interested in offering us any other promotion except ones with higher monthly prices. We didn't really threaten to leave because we live out in the hinterlands and there is literally no other option for high speed web access. But I may try it now, the amount I pay for I/C/P is insane for the craptacular service we get. :mad:

We sort of tried that a few months ago when we dropped the sports package at the end of a promotional period, at that time they weren't interested in offering us any other promotion except ones with higher monthly prices. We didn't really threaten to leave because we live out in the hinterlands and there is literally no other option for high speed web access. But I may try it now, the amount I pay for I/C/P is insane for the craptacular service we get. :mad:

No shit. Same here, though we just have TV and internet service thru them. I found out the jackasses had us wired out at the box on a splitter off a port; musta done that when they added a neighbor and had run out of line ports. Not sure if they have fixed it despite promising to several times.

Calling them about every 6 months has proven effective though, with dropped hints of Dish Net, etc. We got internet (std. speed, not the intro) for $20 a month for 6 months and they dropped the TV price also. Can;t get DSL (in a burb of Chicago!) as we are too far from the CO, and that would be AT&T anyhow :palm:

Nate, if it's any consolation Verizon is putting the same squeeze on. I got a notice in the mail yesterday that both our cable and Internet rates would be going up more than 10% in January.

On the other hand, they do consistently deliver the speeds they promise and the broadcast quality is good.

367717238.png

Nate, if it's any consolation Verizon is putting the same squeeze on. I got a notice in the mail yesterday that both our cable and Internet rates would be going up more than 10% in January.

On the other hand, they do consistently deliver the speeds they promise and the broadcast quality is good.

367717238.png

I have the same thing. 20/20.

Nate -- have you thought about satellite? Download speeds are supposed to be great (which is fine for browsing), upload speeds are atrocious.

When we moved to the house (2-1/2 yrs go) none of the sattelite providers showed that they offered web access in my region. I guess it'd be worth looking into again. Who are the major providers these days?

Did they give you the free n_maher-albums-smileys-picture344-ninja.gif larger bill too? I got a notice from them last week that it was their pleasure to inform me that rates are going up for all 3 of the services that I have with them. I'd like to n_maher-albums-smileys-picture136-violent-smiley-019.gif Comcast.

Not yet :dotu:

deepak, are you sure it's not just their retarded "speed boost" feature that essentially gives you a higher rate for like the first 50megs or so of a download/upload?

Not the speed boost, I had that crap for a while. I have been torrenting for a week and it has been at a steady ~ 130 KB/s upload all the time.

I really wish I had options aside from Comcast, too. :mad: I really miss FiOS and if it ever comes to my neck of woods, I'm dropping Comcast in a second.

Unless things have gotten noticeably better in the last couple of years, I'd avoid satellite - any and all increment weather disrupted the service for my folks when they used to have a satellite service.

Comcast cable blows. They keep getting these pauses in the digital signal, and the frame freezes and the audio drops out for like 20 second increments.

It always seems to happen at the climax of a show.

I got on the horn to yell at them the other day for this very reason and after waiting several minutes, an automated voice apologized, saying I couldn't be connected.

! :mad: !

Comcast cable blows. They keep getting these pauses in the digital signal, and the frame freezes and the audio drops out for like 20 second increments.

It always seems to happen at the climax of a show.

I got on the horn to yell at them the other day for this very reason and after waiting several minutes, an automated voice apologized, saying I couldn't be connected.

! :mad: !

This is drives me nuts but I've only noticed it when watching HD. The only thing that keeps me from going back to satellite is On Demand and the dual tuner/hd dvrs. The internet speed is faster then BellSouth DSL.