Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

I guess if enough people have been similarly scammed while using audiogon, and if a fair argument could be made that audiogon knew or should have known that folks were getting scammed, then maybe a class action could be brought. But honestly, I'm not a litigator and have no clue. Seems highly doubtful.

You sure talk the talk with all that "knew or should have known" mumbo jumbo. ;)

But seriously, I used to be a litigator, but I also have no clue. Regardless, and this isn't legal advice, if it were me, I'd let gon know that it allowed two people to be scammed through its site. Also, be careful og A'gon's "dispute resolution" service because it appears that you agree to indemnify them and hold them harmless. Obviously, a'gon didn't commit the fraud, but they let it happen. Twice. Not cool.

How did A'gon let it happen? Some guy opens and account, places an ad, two people send money for the same non-existent gear. I don't see it but I could be missing something. The ad was placed 9 days ago and the bad feedback was today, so I assume the other guy paid based upon the same ad. I just don't know what A'gon could've known. I would be looking on finding this guy, if possible, contacting the other guy scammed to see what he knows, try to contact local authorities in the UK. Possibly a longshot but it's a lot of money.

Dude, no-one deserves to get scammed. I realize one needs that rationalization to not go insane over losing US$2K, but the response is to get angry and do everything you can to get the money back. Which you seem to be doing.

Also, this boils over into mail fraud. Unfortunately, "some guy in Europe" == no hope in hell, but probably worth at least investigating what could possibly be done there.

Dinny,

If both parties submitted offers outside the Audiogon "offer system" Audiogon would essentially have had no way of knowing any sort of transacting was going on. I don't often submit offers using the "offer" button, I usually just send the seller a message through audiogon's messaging system.

Don't get my wrong - I'm plenty pissed. I'd like to strangle the guy with my bare hands. But looking at it objectively, I think n_mahler's reaction is pretty dead on: who the fuck sends money to some random guy in Europe? I guess the answer to that is "this asshole right here. . . the clown calling himself cherrybomb."

Seriously, I think you guys are being generous, and I appreciate it. If I were on the other side of the discussion I don't know that I'd be so generous.

I've emailed the other guy who got scammed, but there has been no response and that was about 8 hours ago. I've also fished around on the audiogon website for their contact information, but found none. I'd like to write a letter to them and let them know what happened. I imagine their response will be "tough shit." Still, they should know that this shit happens and that its not cool.

audiogon's contact info can be found, but they hide it.

If you click "learn" on the top of the homepage the next page has a link that says "contact a'gon"

Sorry to hear you are in this mess, Hope you get out of it OK.

As stupid as it sounds (maybe its stupider than even I think) try contacting the embassy for whatever country this guy lives in. They may be able to tell you what the deal is with regards to international wire transfers and this sort of thing. Maybe its a worse idea than I think, so maybe after confirmation from someone else.

why not call the local authorities where you sent the money? or give the guy 24-hours to refund the money or you'll be contacting his local police.

this is a tough lesson, but live and learn.

there's a guy in detroit selling some rare gear for a decent price on craigslist, but i am too chicken to send him $200. so sir, you've got some big gonads in my book!

audiogon's contact info can be found, but they hide it.

If you click "learn" on the top of the homepage the next page has a link that says "contact a'gon"

Ahh. . . there it is. For the benefit of others who will read this thread later on, the contact information for audiogon is [email protected]

I'll be sending them an email tonight or tomorrow. If anyone else has been scammed using audiogon, please chime in; there is strength in numbers.

Ahh. . . there it is. For the benefit of others who will read this thread later on, the contact information for audiogon is [email protected]

I'll be sending them an email tonight or tomorrow. If anyone else has been scammed using audiogon, please chime in; there is strength in numbers.

This sucks but I'd be very surprised you will get more than a "sorry" from Audiogon. I still can't believe you sent that kind of money. Was it through your personal bank?

Edit: In addition, the seller has only sold CDs on eBay (if that eBay ID really is the seller).

It's not bad. It's a bit on the harsh side but tasty. It's sweet and light taste of fruit and the finish has been described by others as peppery. That seems pretty accurate to me. It's different from pretty much every other whiskey I've tried. I'm sure the harshness is from the lack of aging. It's worth the $40 price tag.

This sucks but I'd be very surprised you will get more than a "sorry" from Audiogon. I still can't believe you sent that kind of money. Was it through your personal bank?

Edit: In addition, the seller has only sold CDs on eBay (if that eBay ID really is the seller).

I say above that I think Audiogon will just tell me "tough shit." Yes, it was my personal bank. I agree that my judgement here was poor. Heard of "beer goggles?" This was "stat goggles." A very, very expensive lesson has been learned.

I say above that I think Audiogon will just tell me "tough shit." Yes, it was my personal bank. I agree that my judgement here was poor. Heard of "beer goggles?" This was "stat goggles." A very, very expensive lesson has been learned.

Hopefully your bank can do something to help you out.

Edited by veloaudio
Multi-quote Fail

I've never received a reply from the [email protected] email before. I couldn't find a phone number to speak to anyone as well. Audiogon is such a poorly run website. Half the time pictures don't load, the archaic credit card payment system that makes me nervous every time I use it, making me log in multiple times to do very simple things, making feedback so it has to be approved, and the mock court system for disputes where Audiogon members throw their worthless 2c in which "cases" dating back several years still haven't been resolved. I also got my old account disabled for absolutely no reason (I never sold with it before so it wasn't due to unpaid fees).

And then there are the Audiogon forums, where every post has to be approved by a moderator before it's posted essentially protecting advertising manufacturers.

/rant off.

Edited by deepak