Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

4 x 600uF/500V ASC film caps

For what, I don't know, but large value caps show up so infrequently it seemed like a good idea at the time.

hey, random question.. I've bought a bunch of ASC caps recently, and have found the ones that are made in Japan have a different sound to them (for the better). Once you get them, check out the label, and I'll post the label of the ones I have that I'd propose sound better :)

I did buy it a while ago but it just arrived, a NOS Museatex bitstream fully modified. I just dropped it into my computer rig and after running for only a few minutes there is something very wrong with the bass as it goes deep but has no bloom making the sound thin. It may need to warm up though and the power and digital cables I'm using are also new (from Moray James) so it could be them. I'll let the whole thing cook for a few hours and see where I'm at. I'll be opening it up soon so expect pics in the usual place... ;)

I did buy it a while ago but it just arrived, a NOS Museatex bitstream fully modified. I just dropped it into my computer rig and after running for only a few minutes there is something very wrong with the bass as it goes deep but has no bloom making the sound thin. It may need to warm up though and the power and digital cables I'm using are also new (from Moray James) so it could be them. I'll let the whole thing cook for a few hours and see where I'm at. I'll be opening it up soon so expect pics in the usual place... ;)

I've found you have to leave these on for a while to get them sounding good. Not burn-in per se, but just have to be running 24x7 for some reason. I cannot explain it, but this DAC always sounds crappy at meets for some reason, and I've attributed it to this reason.

Nice find though.

I've found you have to leave these on for a while to get them sounding good. Not burn-in per se, but just have to be running 24x7 for some reason. I cannot explain it, but this DAC always sounds crappy at meets for some reason, and I've attributed it to this reason.

Nice find though.

I do hope that it will change as of now it doesn't stand a chance compared to the DAC1 which has been running 24/7 for a few months now. Congested soundstage which lacks all depth, the bass has improved a little but not by much and the top end is edgy and all round nasty. The bass also lacks definition and is very "dynamic" as it just thumps along.

I did take a peek inside before I fired it up and I can see some Silmics in its future. I'll also have to wire up a power led for it as it is missing.

Nice find though.

Very true. In fact, my Bidat despite being on 24/7, it never sounds the same to me when starting a listening session than about 20' later.

Spritzer, the Melior I tried here didn't sound anything like you're describing, so give it a chance. IMO it's mellower than the DAC1, and probably it's bass is no match, but has some other very interesting properties, which for me are more important.

Spritzer, the Melior I tried here didn't sound anything like you're describing, so give it a chance. IMO it's mellower than the DAC1, and probably it's bass is no match, but has some other very interesting properties, which for me are more important.

I'm not talking about the Benchmark DAC1 but the AudioZone Dac1... I know, get creative with the names people!!! :D That is a very mellow NOS dac but with excellent bass for its simple design and a surprising amount of detail.

Very true. In fact, my Bidat despite being on 24/7, it never sounds the same to me when starting a listening session than about 20' later.

Is your Bidat stock or modded?

There is one sitting on the Gon for a few days now that has been tempting me on and off. With transport too, they usually sell very quickly at that price for the DAC alone.

Is your Bidat stock or modded?

There is one sitting on the Gon for a few days now that has been tempting me on and off. With transport too, they usually sell very quickly at that price for the DAC alone.

It's a modded version. John modded it in 2002 IIRC. Newer modded units have basically the same mods, but a more profuse use of Black Gates, which I'm not sure I'd like. A friend of mine owns another one but with an external trannies box (not the whole PS). It sounds different. People having heard several modded models says all sound different for unknown reasons even to John.

Spritzer, I haven't listened to the Audiozone, so that makes things quite different. The Melior could sound harsher than a NOS DAC depending on the transport.

Spritzer, I haven't listened to the Audiozone, so that makes things quite different. The Melior could sound harsher than a NOS DAC depending on the transport.

It did a bit better running overnight but it's still thin. I'm letting it cook now on my Shigaclone but I opened it up again and there are only 4 BG's in this unit. I'm thinking about swapping all the other caps for Elna Silmics.

I wouldn't touch it that soon, wait at least for 200-300 hours. I know you have a lot more experience than myself on components and burn-in times, but caps, and those Black gates are new, take some time to sound right. You wouldn't like to know about V-Caps TFTF :palm:

The parts would be here in a month the earliest so I'm letting it cook for now.