When do you consider an amp "high end"

postjack

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also have about 50 grams of depleted uranium 238. Sitting in the appropriate plastic bottle on my desk at home.

(the radiation emitted is stopped by this particular kind of plastic). Since i don't know what i'm doing in this case

i'll not try and cast the stuff. I've been told that machining the stuff after casting is almost impossible.

I have a lot of .999 silver. Sooner or later i'm going to make a knob out of some of that. But it does tarnish

very fast.

One of these days i will have enough rhodium. But not any time soon :(

Copper is way to easy.

I think postjack needs a 4 channel beta :P

You gunna build it for me? ;)

I'm really quite pleased having both the Melos and the Dynahi. I don't know if I would be happy with just one. Strangely, the W5000 favors the Melos, while the W11JPN sings out of the Dynahi. :angel:

as for balanced amps, personally I don't know if I have a can I like enough to go balanced with. Its almost like once you've invested in a balanced amp, you need to be a one can guy, i.e. this is my favorite can, so it is the one I'm going balanced with! As you can see, I own many cans, still trying to find my favorite sound.

Anyone ever balanced an hp-2? :P

I'm really quite pleased having both the Melos and the Dynahi. I don't know if I would be happy with just one. Strangely, the W5000 favors the Melos, while the W11JPN sings out of the Dynahi. :angel:

as for balanced amps, personally I don't know if I have a can I like enough to go balanced with. Its almost like once you've invested in a balanced amp, you need to be a one can guy, i.e. this is my favorite can, so it is the one I'm going balanced with! As you can see, I own many cans, still trying to find my favorite sound.

Anyone ever balanced an hp-2? :P

I dunno those SDS-XLR guys like to have pretty much all the high end headphones (balanced) :P

I'm down.

What it cost to balance an can? 20 cents worth of heatshrink and $10 in XLR connectors. Most of these headphones we are talking already have 4 wires from the drivers. It would cost you like $100 to balance your whole collection, including labor.

OK, here you go :D

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/metals.jpg

upper left, my first casting job. Real shitty but i keep it around to remind me how bad my first couple were.

upper right, 100 oz of .999 fine silver. Lower left 5 grams of rhodium. 83 grams of 24k for my stax portable.

Then 31 grams of platinum and 50 grams of u238

I love the portable knob. That is style. :D

Biggie.

I'm down.

What it cost to balance an can? 20 cents worth of heatshrink and $10 in XLR connectors. Most of these headphones we are talking already have 4 wires from the drivers. It would cost you like $100 to balance your whole collection, including labor.

Balance my stuff, jb!!!!

I'm down.

My next excuse is I need a balanced source. ;D

That monstrosity from mikhail was coated in about 2 oz of gold. Absolutely the entire thing, knobs included.

Can't get more gold than that unless you use my 24k volume knobs.

But really gold is so last year. This year it has to be platinum. Another few months and i will have enough

to make a 100 gram .950 platinum knob.

From wire clippings or evaporators?