When do you consider an amp "high end"

postjack

Of course it is an arbitrary and ultimately an unimportant question, but it is something I was thinking about today. When do you consider an amp "high end"? I seem to have a pretty firm grasp on what makes a source or a pair of cans high end, but the amplification thing always eludes me. I know when I see the insane Singlepowers like the SDS or Maestro, or a custom job like tkam's, I think that is high end. But what else is out there, really?

And then this makes me think, does the law of diminishing returns kick in faster with an amp then a source? Past the $2000 mark, where is there really to go in ampland?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Of course it is an arbitrary and ultimately an unimportant question, but it is something I was thinking about today. When do you consider an amp "high end"? I seem to have a pretty firm grasp on what makes a source or a pair of cans high end, but the amplification thing always eludes me. I know when I see the insane Singlepowers like the SDS or Maestro, or a custom job like tkam's, I think that is high end. But what else is out there, really?

And then this makes me think, does the law of diminishing returns kick in faster with an amp then a source? Past the $2000 mark, where is there really to go in ampland?

I'd say toddy's singlepower and the beta22 are both a good step up from the dynahi, and both are north of $2k...

usually the 1500$ mark is the cut off point. just where the ZD, GS-X, Supra, dynamight, etc.. come into play.

I don't think a $$$ sum can be placed on what makes an amp high end or not. If it's true to the source, and capable of reproduces its nuances, that is what makes it high end in my opinion.

High-end is when you start leaving the beaten path and really start pushing the limits of what hi-fi can do instead of recycling the same basic circuits & parts over & over again. The Moon Audio Luna would be high-end, as is the Espressivo, as would my friend's all DHT 2A3 amp. Stuff like a Woo Audio 5, a Raptor, a Bada PH12 that some idiot stuffed full of V-caps, Blackgates, and bling resistors, that shit ain't high-end. That's like a $1000 Cmoy buiilt with unobtanium military parts and Kondo wires with jacks that are worth $200 each. It may cost $1000 but it sure as hell ain't gonna sound like it.

As far as I know only under meet conditions, which are dubious at best. If you want a technical comparison I believe that amb has all the data posted on his site.

And even so, I think most beta22's are built in 3 ch (active ground) configuration, so it may not be an apples to apples comparison.

I'd love to demo a balanced beta22 vs. a dynamite

I don't think a $$$ sum can be placed on what makes an amp high end or not. If it's true to the source, and capable of reproduces its nuances, that is what makes it high end in my opinion.

I agree, but it's usually this area where the good sounding stuff starts to come in. in DIY, the line is where the dynahi/B22 comes in.

Ah yes, the 300B Stax amp, not only was it gold plated, it was personalized with a custom engraved badge.

I don't think I've ever seen an amp with more chrome & gold.

It also had wood trim and led's under the gold plated caps so it looked totally pimping in the dark hehe. I beleive a guy in Australia (well known on the audioasylum chat board) made a prototype headphone amp that he then had gold plated. Oh yeah. ^.^

Biggie.

Actually, the Creek OBH-11SE is pretty high-end, as it surpasses that threshold for me.

But that threshold is extremely subjective -- I will admit that most of you would not consider the Creek OBH11SE to be high end, and I wouldn't argue with you.

Which brings me to my point -- it's not really high-end vs. not high-end, it's more like myriad shades of grey, and how amps are more or less high-end. Where, along that scale, you put your threshold, is up to you.

That monstrosity from mikhail was coated in about 2 oz of gold. Absolutely the entire thing, knobs included.

Can't get more gold than that unless you use my 24k volume knobs.

But really gold is so last year. This year it has to be platinum. Another few months and i will have enough

to make a 100 gram .950 platinum knob.

lol, nice. Better platinum than gold...I've always thought gold was pretty ugly.

22K gold looks very good.

Most of the jewelry in the US is 14k or 18k not nearly as impressive. IMO platinum suits fairer skin and gold darker.

But if I were to plate an amp it would be platinum (unless I got an incredible rate on gold in India), though most people would probably mistake it for silver :-\