Post what you're watching

deepak

Melody and I started watching "Enlightened" on HBO GO the other night, anyone watch this? Took me two episodes but I really started to enjoy it. 

I'm not sure exactly how the series wants the audience to view its characters (which is part of what makes it so interesting), especially the lead, who is really masterfully played by Laura Dern, but here's my view on the plot anyway. Basically a woman who is full of anger and totally self-absorbed goes to a very new-agey hippie "rehab" of sorts in hawaii to get a hold of her anger/depression, and comes back to the real world and finds its really, really hard to apply those principles you learned to real life. Especially when you are still full of anger and totally self-absorbed. :)

Pretty awesome show so far, we watched 4 episodes last night I think. Touching at times, laugh out loud funny at times, frustrating at times.

• Like 1

Melody and I started watching "Enlightened" on HBO GO the other night, anyone watch this? Took me two episodes but I really started to enjoy it. 

I'm not sure exactly how the series wants the audience to view its characters (which is part of what makes it so interesting), especially the lead, who is really masterfully played by Laura Dern, but here's my view on the plot anyway. Basically a woman who is full of anger and totally self-absorbed goes to a very new-agey hippie "rehab" of sorts in hawaii to get a hold of her anger/depression, and comes back to the real world and finds its really, really hard to apply those principles you learned to real life. Especially when you are still full of anger and totally self-absorbed. :)

Pretty awesome show so far, we watched 4 episodes last night I think. Touching at times, laugh out loud funny at times, frustrating at times.

You know what I like about some of your posts?  You're not afraid to say what everyone else is thinking.  You manage to say it without malice, and without fanboism at the same time.

Also, you sometimes just go off the deep end into left field.  You're not afraid to say what no-one else is thinking.

• Like 1

Fairly eye-opening.  I always kind of resented something Eno said about synthesizers, but I never actually heard it from the man, himself (it happens fairly early on).  I always thought he was a synthesist ragging on synthesizers, trying to tell us it's alright to use presets, but the point he was making was entirely different, he was woeing the absence of interesting patches in synthesizers.

• 2 weeks later...

The Roosevelts on PBS

250px-TheRoosevelts-BluRayDVD-Cover-2014

Its Ken Burns and the Roosevelts (Teddy, Eleanor and Franklin). Its fantastic. I've really really enjoyed it. It is easily Ken Burns' best since The War. WATCH IT!!!

5/5! (even though I'm only through 5 of the 7 two hour episodes).

Teddy... what a guy! Our smartest (by IQ) president ever? Its amazing how he kind of defies description by todays political terms. In some ways he is incredibly liberal. When it comes to foreign policy he is as conservative as you can get. It all adds up to one of the greatest personalities of the last 150 years. I knew he was a great guy, but after watching this I am more impressed than ever. Talk about someone who got where he was based on a pure combination of force of will and intelligence.

Eleanor... its funny to watch her story and relate it to the first ladies that have been around in the 30 years since I was born. What an incredible woman. I had no idea she had suffered so much.

FDR... love him or hate him, there is no denying that he was THE most important president of the 20th century. Its amazing to see how much the polio humanized him. He goes from being this golden boy for whom basically everything came easy to having this incredibly human struggle with his condition. One of the commentators mentioned that in this day and age there is no way someone like FDR could ever have become president today. I find that incredibly sad.

I've loved the episodes I've seen so far. I can't recommend this enough. Great job, Ken Burns! Great job (as usual), PBS!

Edited by TMoney

Catching up on recent episodes of The Knick and second/final season of Enlightened. Combined I think this is the most satisfied I've ever been with television. Better shows have been made, but The Knick is so well handled and Enlightened is a minor miracle nearly every episode.  

582558_338133179596405_2057328561_n.jpg

Edited by blessingx

regular schedule:  Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Castle, Arrow, and Flash.

Might have to subscribe to HBO for Game of Thrones when it starts; wish BBC America would give a subscription service (just for Doctor Who).

randomly -- Louis C.K. various comedy bits on Netflix, Uganda be Kidding me (Chelsea Handler), Tim Minchin and the Heritage Orchestra complete and uncut Live at the Royal Albert Hall

regular schedule: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Castle, Arrow, and Flash.

Might have to subscribe to HBO for Game of Thrones when it starts; wish BBC America would give a subscription service (just for Doctor Who).

randomly -- Louis C.K. various comedy bits on Netflix, Uganda be Kidding me (Chelsea Handler), Tim Minchin and the Heritage Orchestra complete and uncut Live at the Royal Albert Hall

How was Uganda? I have this weird thing with Chelsea Handler where I think she's just great but I don't like her show at all. So I'm curious about the standup.

I'm rewatching in Louis CKs standup specials in order. Just watched Shameless.

Louis C.K. is easily my favourite standup.  I was laughing so hard during the shit-covered child thing, I was sure I was going to have an aneurysm..  Gaffigan is a close second.

Uganda was actually very funny.  She's completely blue.  I'm talking NC-17 photographic evidence blue.

Adding Forever and Gotham to my regular watching.  I really like the actor in Forever from RInger, he definitely deserves his own show.  He's got that accent that muggle women probably swoon over and men wish they had, I could listen to him do a totally mundane soap in which he had to carry every scene.

Louis C.K. is easily my favourite standup.  I was laughing so hard during the shit-covered child thing, I was sure I was going to have an aneurysm..  Gaffigan is a close second.

Uganda was actually very funny.  She's completely blue.  I'm talking NC-17 photographic evidence blue.

Adding Forever and Gotham to my regular watching.  I really like the actor in Forever from RInger, he definitely deserves his own show.  He's got that accent that muggle women probably swoon over and men wish they had, I could listen to him do a totally mundane soap in which he had to carry every scene.

Louis C.K. is my favorite as well. I think he might be the best stand-up comedian of all time. Generally I think stand-up comedy right now is at a very high level artistically. Partly this is because its so much easier to access stand-up comedy, via Netflix etc, but also I think comedians are upping their game. This whole thing about ditching your whole routine and starting over from scratch after you film a special takes guts, and a lot of comics are doing that now. I also think stand-up is "cooler" now then it used to be, starting with Patton Oswalt and the Comedians of Comedy, I think we'll look back at that as an important milestone.

During the 90s we were bombarded with Seinfeld-esque "funniest guy at the office" type of comedy, pretty much any asshole figured he could get on stage and say "whats the deal with..." Which is a huge insult to Seinfeld, who is amazing (still amazing, he came through my town last year and KILLED, I could not believe how dedicated he still is to stand-up), but his popularity kind of spawned a type of safe stand-up, which is weird because Seinfeld is actually really dark, he just doesn't go blue. I see that in Gaffigan to, hilarious and seriously dark, it just happens to all be about food and hotel pools instead of sex and profanity.

But even in the 90s there was an undercurrent of real comedy, most easily portrayed by Hicks. Actually in my mind I'm drawing a comparison between music in the 80s and comedy in the 90s. The 1980s in terms of popular music was a bunch of easily digestable safe crap, while outside the mainstream music was groundbreaking and awesome.

I've obviously had my coffee this morning.

Anyway Dusty (or anyone else) if you want to check out a brilliant comic on Netflix who I believe will be the next one to break out, watch Tom Segura's new special, can't remember what its called but its his only one on Netflix. I've watched it 3-4 times and laugh just as hard everytime.

Also Forever and Gotham are great. I'm glad to see Gotham loosen up and inject some comedy into the show. There was an awesome two word line in episode 5 "Viper" that had me cracking up. I'm sure you'll recognize it when you get to it.

• Like 1