Post what you're watching

deepak

I have been following - Fall of Civilizations - YouTube channel for years now. The host Paul Cooper writes, narriates, and produces these epic documentaries about lost civilizations. Calls it a Podcast. He releases a audio version, and then some months later releases the fully produced video. Not an easy task at 4 hours running time.

As he states in the intro of each episode:  "I look at a civilization of the past that rose to glory and then collapsed into the ashes of history. I want to ask, what did they have in common? What led to their fall, and what did it feel like to be a person alive at the time who witnessed the end of their world?"

These rank up there with almost anything I have listened to or seen.

Including - Homemade Documentaries - by Jackson Tyler. Another YouYube documentarian, which I think I have posted here before - here is his latest work on Gemini, Crazy good at just under 3 hours. 

Mikey likes long format learnings... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And on the other end of the quality scale::

So, I wrote a prompt to AI: I need a comparative sarcastic review of The Carpenters - Space Encounters 1978 and the Star Wars Christmas Special.

(( It got it mostly right. I didn't feel as awful after this as I did the SW special - At least there is Karen's singing ))

--

The Force Awakens...of Cheesy Holiday Cheer: A Comparative Review of Space Oddities

Buckle up, space cadets, for a clash of the titans...well, maybe not titans, but two contenders for the most bizarre holiday space experience. In one corner, we have Karen and Richard Carpenter, armed with synthesizers and questionable fashion choices, blasting off on Space Encounters of 1978. In the other corner, it's the ragtag crew of the Millennium Falcon forced to endure a nonsensical holiday variety show in the Star Wars Holiday Special. Let's see who wins this battle of the bewildering.

Musical Merit:

• Space Encounters: Karen's voice soars like a spaceship on helium, while Richard tinkles on his synthesizer like a toddler discovering a Casio for the first time. The result? Earworms that burrow into your brain and refuse to leave, but undeniably catchy earworms.
  • Star Wars Holiday Special: Let it be known: the galaxy far, far away has some truly dreadful musicians. Imagine elevator music trapped in a broken blender. This is where musical careers go to die.

Special Effects:

• Space Encounters: Prepare to be dazzled by…a shimmering disco ball and some flashing lights. Hold onto your metaphorical spacesuits, folks, it's a wild ride.
  • Star Wars Holiday Special: A low-budget fever dream. Lumpy creatures cavort around in what appears to be a forgotten corner of Mos Eisley cantina. Just be thankful they don't try to sell you those itchy-looking bathrobes.

Plot Development:

• Space Encounters: Essentially non-existent. We just kind of…float around in space with the Carpenters, pondering the mysteries of the universe (and possibly regretting our life choices).
  • Star Wars Holiday Special: Chewbacca's family celebrates Life Day, a bizarre intergalactic holiday involving singing vegetables, a barely coherent Boba Fett cartoon, and a bar brawl almost as confusing as the plot. May the Force help you understand any of it.

Redeeming Qualities:

• Space Encounters: So bad it's good. A campy classic that will have you laughing (or groaning) along. Perfect for those nights when you need a good dose of the absurd.
  • Star Wars Holiday Special: Uh…well, it's a collector's item for die-hard Star Wars fans? And a cautionary tale for future holiday specials, perhaps?

The Verdict:

This is a close call. Space Encounters offers more entertainment value with its sheer awfulness, but the Star Wars Holiday Special wins for pure nonsensical weirdness. Ultimately, the choice depends on your tolerance for cheese and your love for the bizarre. Just remember, there's always the fast-forward button.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/4/2024 at 12:43 PM, mikeymad said:

The Verdict:

This is a close call. Space Encounters offers more entertainment value with its sheer awfulness, but the Star Wars Holiday Special wins for pure nonsensical weirdness. Ultimately, the choice depends on your tolerance for cheese and your love for the bizarre. Just remember, there's always the fast-forward button.

#strangetimes