Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

Received my Otterbox Defender case for iPhone 4 today. Initial impression is favorable, probably helps that I knew it was gong to be bit bulky. Size-wise, it's similar to an iPod classic in an Agent 18 case, though it's bit longer since the phone itself is longer than an iPod. The port flaps will take getting used to, but on a plus side, I can now use it with JH13 and older iPod USB cable which I couldn't do with a Bumper.

Haj, all you had to do was a little cutting and the problem is solved.

I just had the Zagg antenna shields put on my phone at best buy. My earlier tests are favorable with little or no decrease in signal. I will test it a bit more after it's completely dry. It took about 5 maybe 10 minutes for the installation

Mike - I did perform the cutting on my backup (i.e., semi-damaged) cable for JH13 and it worked well with the bumper.

I'd love to keep my iPhone without a case (or just with protective films), but I'm rather prone to dropping my cellphones, thus the Otterbox Defender case (and the bumper while waiting for the Defender).

In regards to the flaps on Defender case, I'm wondering if it's a QC issue. My rubber surround keeps the shape fine for the most part (headphone flap is bit worse than the other two flaps) even when flaps are open. I do wish the rubber surround fit tighter, though (mine's tiny bit loose on top right corner). The screen protector isn't all that great, as mentioned earlier, though I haven't had any issues with the touch control/performance (fwiw, I didn't remove the screen protector I already had on the iPhone).

Jeff - is your rubber surround sticky to the touch? I only ask since while mine's got some lints on, it doesn't look as bad as yours did on the pic you posted. Also, my rubber surround is slick - not enough to be a handling problem, but definitely slick, not sticky.

Holding the phone in the death grip will decrease the signal. I'm going to use the phone without a case for a couple of days and see how it goes.

I may either get iphone 4 or some Android phones. The screen on iphone4 looked amazingly clear and the overall build quality is good, but the reception was worse than I expected. I've been to three different Apple stores and their iphone 4s (with different carriers) had about 3 bars (or 4 the most) even when they were on the table without death grip. Please keep us updated. Thanks

^ I've been to three different Apples stores around my neck of the woods and at all places, iPhones I saw were showing full 5 bars. It wouldn't surprise me if they are all running AT&T 3G Microcell in the US stores, though. FWIW, I was able to make calls just fine (2 bars at most) from my friend's house with iPhone 4, where the said friend can barely make calls with his original iPhone or with his wife's iPhone 3. FYI, they already had iPhone when they bought their house (i.e., they didn't buy iPhone knowing their house has crappy AT&T service).

that tells you exactly nothing about the phone's reception abilities. it might give you a general idea of signal strength inside of those Apple stores, though.

True, and those stores are inside different malls and that may further decrease the signal strength.

The price is good here in Canada, the old 8Gb 3GS sells for $99 with a 3 year contract while the 16Gb 4 sells for $159 with 3 year contract.

Should have made some calls with those iPhone 4 since they all had working sim cards.

I used my phone without a case all weekend without problem. The only issue I had was while speaking to Jp and he kept activating the mute button with his face. The only other reception problem was inside my house which is not new. I was able to use the phone but every once in a while the call would break up. I'm probably a candidate for the ATT Microcell.

Edited by tyrion

I used my phone without a case all weekend without problem. The only issue I had was while speaking to Jp and he kept activating the mute button with his face. The only other reception problem was inside my house which is not new. I was able to use the phone but every once in a while the call would break up. I'm probably a candidate for the ATT Microcell.

I mute my 3GS with my face pretty regularly. same thing happened on my 1st gen.