Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

Is there an app for something like DLNA streaming to the touch? I know iPad and such can stream to stuff, but what about the other way around?

If size weren't such an issue, I'd probably just use DVD decrypter stream options to rip the main movie all to one vob file, demultiplex the audio and video using HDBR, and use mmg in eac3to to multiplex the unrecompressed streams into an mkv file like I do on my pc. It seems the touch can handle it and the rips would be 100% quality done in about twenty mins depending on read/write speed of BD/DVD rom drive and HDD. The only problem might be that movie would be about 3.5-6 GBs space.

I guess as a follow up to my earlier q's...my first gen iPhone is dying and my Droid Eris is decent but near useless due to battery life. I am going to hold off on any contract moves until the Verizon iPhone comes out, if ever. In the meantime, I guess I'd like to get a 3G or 3GS to replace my first gen. What's the best way to do this without getting toed into ATT for another 2 years?

I guess as a follow up to my earlier q's...my first gen iPhone is dying and my Droid Eris is decent but near useless due to battery life. I am going to hold off on any contract moves until the Verizon iPhone comes out, if ever. In the meantime, I guess I'd like to get a 3G or 3GS to replace my first gen. What's the best way to do this without getting toed into ATT for another 2 years?

Dinny, AT&T blows Verizon out of the water in NYC now that the upgrade has taken place. I have actually been no where that I did not have great service with the iPhone 4.

Verizon isn't all rainbows and sunshine as a carrier either, with how they tend to lock down and add bloat down to all their phones and their rates are only slightly better it seems. When they get that LTE 4G network going though, I imagine its going to be very popular (in only those 24-26 areas that will get it by 2012).

Is there an app for something like DLNA streaming to the touch? I know iPad and such can stream to stuff, but what about the other way around?

If size weren't such an issue, I'd probably just use DVD decrypter stream options to rip the main movie all to one vob file, demultiplex the audio and video using HDBR, and use mmg in eac3to to multiplex the unrecompressed streams into an mkv file like I do on my pc. It seems the touch can handle it and the rips would be 100% quality done in about twenty mins depending on read/write speed of BD/DVD rom drive and HDD. The only problem might be that movie would be about 3.5-6 GBs space.

Just to be clear, you want to keep your music and movies on your computer and stream them to the touch to watch or listen?

I use StreamToMe from the app store, and it has a companion server program for the computer, that allows me to watch my ripped DVD movies or listen to my non-DRM music via streaming over Wifi. If I am not home, but have Wifi and know my external IP address for home, then I can access my music and movies while I'm away too. This is when I'll pull out the jailbroken iPad with MyWi tethering, or my Verizon MiFi.

Strangely, with a jailbroken iPhone and My3G app installed, StreamToMe is not fooled into thinking I am using WiFi when I'm not. Yet I can do things like Facetime just fine over 3G. Also, to avoid memorizing my external IP address, I got a domain name from No-IP - Dynamic DNS, Static DNS for Your Dynamic IP and my computer updates no-ip regularly with my external IP, so if I go to my domain and open port I can get into my home computer's servers. It's like $19.95/year and worth it.

I also use DotTunes on my iMac which sets up a server on my iMac that let's me stream my whole iTunes library music via Wifi or 3G to any browser equipped device like my iPhone, iPad, Mac or PS3. This only works for music, and you listen to the music via the server's web app using Safari for iPhone/Touch. It doesn't do movies like StreamToMe, but it does work over 3G as long as you can get into your home computer via IP and port from the outside.

And, I have TwonkyServer which allows me to stream music to my iPhone for listening through the PS Audio TagNPlay app via Wifi (or via 3G using my external IP address). However, with a computer you can watch movies by streaming from TwonkyServer via a browser interface. The iPhone browser doesn't work with it yet, so movies aren't available for streaming.

Even though AT&T are freaking punks I have to give them credit for investing in their 3G bandwidth and their 3G coverage in major metropolitan areas is probably the best of all the carriers. I know for Chicagoland AT&T has the best 3G service so I am ok wi them for now. I think verizon has a long way to go to match their quality, at least it appears for major cities. I would say just stick with AT&T and get an iPhone4 under contract.