Canjam 08 Meet Impressions

postjack

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any candidates for best rig of show?

I'd love to see some comparison between the two.

TTVJ Millett 307A amp sourced by the Meridian 808 is my vote. My balanced HF-1's sounded fracken great out of it. I'm going back tomorrow to through the Hd650s at it. It also looks really nice in person - much less plain jane than I expected.

Justin's BH + O2 rig was also exceptional. His plans for the production chassis are just sick.

"Bass heavy R10's" "Bassy" -- what is this shit? I realize I'm being pedantic, but the correct terminology is "bass-light" and "less bass-light".

Personally, I prefer "bass-lite" and "where's the damn bass?".

Then again, I believe a Grado PS-1 has a realistic and proper amount of bass, so almost everything else is lacking in lows.

justin's glorious rig has made me realize that I'm not doing my o2s justice amp wise. I'm thinking that I might just concentrate on dynamics and my speakers for the immediate future. I can't afford to buy a new hirez source and a stat amp. Plus I already have the beta22 coming in soon, and I am sure I will live with it for a long time. Makes me glad someone else snagged that kgss humanflyz was selling. So I'll either sell the 02 or per dan's suggestion, "throw it in the closet".

I'll probably sell my gs1k to fund a d5000.

I have the newer version DT990 and it has plenty of bass...
Are you at CanJam? So go listen to these supposed holy grail _airquotes__by_brokenboulevard.gifR10 phones with bass_airquotes__by_brokenboulevard.gif and tell me if they have more or less bass than how much bass you remember the DT990 having.

Stop telling me it has bass, and start telling me how much bass it has (less than the K501, but more than the K1000, that sort of thing), then I'll start believing you.

justin's glorious rig has made me realize that I'm not doing my o2s justice amp wise. I'm thinking that I might just concentrate on dynamics and my speakers for the immediate future. I can't afford to buy a new hirez source and a stat amp. Plus I already have the beta22 coming in soon, and I am sure I will live with it for a long time. Makes me glad someone else snagged that kgss humanflyz was selling. So I'll either sell the 02 or per dan's suggestion, "throw it in the closet".

I'll probably sell my gs1k to fund a d5000.

Nice, a beta22. That is one amp that I am really interested in hearing and possibly owning one day. Good luck on your GS1k sale if you do decide to sell them :)

Are you at CanJam? So go listen to these supposed holy grail _airquotes__by_brokenboulevard.gifR10 phones with bass_airquotes__by_brokenboulevard.gif and tell me if they have more or less bass than how much bass you remember the DT990 having.

Stop telling me it has bass, and start telling me how much bass it has (less than the K501, but more than the K1000, that sort of thing), then I'll start believing you.

I'm not at Canjam, but Ray Samuels has a bass heavy pair and it did have a lot of bass (it was less than a 20 minute audition so I can't comment on the quality). More than my K1000 and a K501 I heard at a dealer.

at the airport now. Dan is around here somewhere. This was a fantastic weekend. The gear was of course sweet, but meeting all the people is what will truly enrich my continued audio experience within this community.

I got plenty of sleep this weekend, but I'm still exhausted! Must be all the stimuli and socializing that has worn me out. :)

Note type impressions:

1. Finally listened to a pico, it was amazing with the hd650 listening to the wall mfsl. Just sick ridiculous nasty.

<interlude, hang out with dan, fly to pensacola, at baggage claim now>

Sorry I missed your goodbye dan! It was a pleasure meeting you. :)

2. I'm not sure the d5000 is as great as I thought it was.

So were there any big announcements for new headphones from anyone? (not IEMs, full size headphones).

I know, I've been anticipating a release of something during CanJam, but it looks like no dice. I was really hoping Sennheiser would finally unveil whatever it is they're working on.

I know, I've been anticipating a release of something during CanJam, but it looks like no dice. I was really hoping Sennheiser would finally unveil whatever it is they're working on.

People here were implying something new was going to be announced at Canjam, so that's why I asked.

People here were implying something new was going to be announced at Canjam, so that's why I asked.

i announced i'm releasing a new IEM, since every other company in the entire world is. the PJ530 will be arriving soon! it'll be cool because you can put it in your ear and hear music with your protable amps and download MP3 files.

Jinp, I guarantee you there are no pictures of me drunk. :D

everyone I met was supernice, and that includes Jude, who introduced himself to me in the pens restroom and helped me work the paper towel machine. ;D

i'm home and need to spend some QT with the GF. more impressions and stuff late night.

mind you the 808.2 was not burned in. i have heard differences with burn in from my g08 so i would imagine you would want a burned in 808.2 but even without your still getting great sound...just not $16k worth yet.... :kitty:

i posted some impressions on hf so i am not going to repeat what i said there but i will say it was amazing meeting so many headfi/headcase people i never met before.

Jay's setup with his amp and 340's is seriously something to contend with. i tried talking him into hooking up one of the Meridians but i don't think he budged. he still is walking out with a great modded player though. his amp is so beautiful in life, swt done a great job on the wood!!!!

the hotel is so Fucking empty,, like when the meet ended everyone got the fuck out ASAP. i still have my name badge on though representing. funny thing is on the badges we had our Avart's we use on headfi like last year. but my Avart is a ChiUni logo for this 08, so it was kind of like free advertising for it. i was talking to a few vendors and all i had to do was point to the badge....HAHAHAHA

Thanks Florida!

I talked to a few vendors so this ChiUni should be well stacked with MOT help and thats Awesome...now we can pay for the 09 event. speaking of which i am going to talk to hotels in the upcoming months for that...YAY!!!!! You all should come down..ok i am done with the plug >:D

Okie dokie, I'm going to look over my other impressions and either just recopy them for the record or update them:

Some Moth DAC > EC Balancing Act > apuresound recabled HD600 (Eddie Current/Craig) - The first rig I listened to at my first meet, way early in the morning when almost no one was in the room. It really did sound beautiful, doing all the things that tubes do well. The HD600's bass was so full. I actually checked twice to make sure they weren't HD650s.

Exemplar Denon 2900 > Heed Obelisk > K1000 (boomana/Vicki) - My first time with the K1000. Vicki had a gigantic power amp for them (forgot what kind), but there was a hum originating from her preamp (Extreme) that was exacerbated by further connection to the power amp that made it way to loud. So instead we just went straight to the Obelisk which is an integrated. I see why people like the K1000, its very engaging and easy to tailor the sound to your tastes by turning the speakers in and out. Great bass, but it didn't go to the lowest of the lows. And there is that AKG midrange people are always talking about! The highs were a bit on the bright side for me, but by no means unbearable.

Apogee Duet > Toole Audio Balanced Mosfet Amp > HHF-1 (grawk/Dan) - I listened to this one a few times over the weekend, and I really liked it. Definitely an easy to listen to rig, one that really does nothing wrong, but it doesn't do anything that makes you reach out and say "woah", but thats fine really. Later I listened to the Pico pushing an HD650. Completely different setup then Dans so its hard to compare the Duet to the Pico, but if you put a gun to my head I'd say the Pico, mainly because its enclosure is sexier and to support Justin. :)

Cyrus CDP > Corda Move > ESW9 (nightwoundstime/Matt) - The ESW9 is a great little phone. I was very surprised at the thumping bass. I was expecting it to be more anemic like the w5000, but it is very different. Definitely a rocking can, great for portable or home use if you're willing to lay out the cash. Having said that I don't have much experience with other portable type cans of this nature. They aren't really my thing so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Grado Sonata Reference > Massive Gorgeous Denon DD Turntable > CI Audio Phono > MPX3 (three 6SN7s) > HD650 (nightwoundstime/Matt) - Yeeeeaaahhh, vinyl! Was lucky enough to sit with Matt and listen to the 45RPM of "In Rainbows". I love vinyl, and this rig sounded great. Of course, if it were me I'd throw a DL-103, cinemag sut, and tubed phono stage up in the mix. :dance: I'm much more sensitive to different components in a vinyl rig then in differences between digital rigs, but I guess thats part of the joy of vinyl is the very high level of control the listener has over his or her source.

i'm fading fast and tired. many more rigs to post impressions on, but this is what I got now.