Canjam 08 Meet Impressions

postjack

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the cheapest sign for the (one of) the most expensive amps :)

you obviously have not seen the original schematic drawn on a bar napkin while

i was in hawaii. (and very drunk at the time)

I'm pretty sure it was a joke as i finally have forced justin to do hand drawn

schematics. that look as bad as some of mine.

Anyway jazz or blues would definitely be ok by me for the concert part of next

years party.

Drinking not allowed at the meet ??? Where is the fun in that...

any thoughts on Nate's amp?

Loved Nate's amp, but it was under-sourced, and I don't think anyone got a chance to hear what it's capable of doing. First heard it for a few moments on Friday night when we were setting up with the 650s, and I couldn't believe the sound it was getting using only his ipod touch as a source. He ended up not getting a transport to use his dac, so I let him use the Lector 0.6T, which is a nice CDP, but nothing special (think Eastern Electric MiniMax and the like). I, again, only listened for a minute with RS1s (not really my thing), and was going to get back to it, but then Nate donated the Lector to Mikhail since he was lacking in sources, and that was that.

Mikhail ended up buying the Lector, allowing me a UE11 purchase, so Nate did everyone else a favor except himself.

I think some local guys need to get a meet together before any real impressions come out. I think it's a great amp, and the pictures don't show how massive it really is: truly a menace.

I think some local guys need to get a meet together before any real impressions come out. I think it's a great amp, and the pictures don't show how massive it really is: truly a menace.

Yeah, I think another NE mini-meet is in order. Of course, I think most of us are annoyingly busy for the time being.

I heard Nate's amp with the Hertsens DAC, and it was the funk shit nasty. A truly godly amp that brought out an incredibly full sound to my RS-1s. Rivaled only by the sound I heard from Voltron's Rockhopper Balanced Beta22 with RS-1s.

I heard Nate's amp on Sunday just before he packed it up. As Vicki pointed out, you don't get a sense of the size of this amp until you see it in person. I'm pretty sure I tried RS-1s with the Menace. I know there was another can I tried but I don't recall. The amp is outstanding. I can't possibly go into any detail as my listening time on the Menance and all other amps I tried were pretty limited. The Menace, Eddie Current Balancing Act prototype and WA6 SE made the greatest impressions on me at the meet. I have the WA6 SE for the next two weeks. Nate and Craig wouldn't give up their amps. I never got to Voltron's Thrice built Beta 22. I heard it at the last Tampa meet and it sounds great. I wanted to check out ASRs Beta, which was pretty sweet looking.

I heard Nate's amp with the Hertsens DAC, and it was the funk shit nasty. A truly godly amp that brought out an incredibly full sound to my RS-1s. Rivaled only by the sound I heard from Voltron's Rockhopper Balanced Beta22 with RS-1s.

When did he get the dac up? I missed this? :sadcat:

I'm trying to organize my thoughts to post some impressions (very first take), but I'm flat out zonked. Matt left for Radiohead. I'm going to sit around doing nothing. Listening to Bicycle Face. Thanks, grawk!

Note to self to talk about later:

jay's massive attack with the moon modded Original

RWA Sig 30.2/ Isabella dac/K1000/R10

Rudistor amps and Ultrasones

ALO modded 780s (yep, with the ugly Jena)

ttvj's 808 and pete's beastie with 650s (first wow moment of the meet)

headroom max with the K701s

headroom desktop speaker getup

Stax 4070 (finally got to hear these)

grawk's rig

UE10s and 11s (universal tips)

Genesis speaker set up

When did he get the dac up? I missed this? :sadcat:

All I used the Lector for was a transport, I was using the DAC pretty much the whole time on Saturday. ;D Sunday it was back to the Ipod.

I'll be uploading ~50 pictures over the next hour or so, I might just post the highlights here...for now, just a teaser.

Thrice, what is that dog doing to you?

96651898.jpg

All I used the Lector for was a transport, I was using the DAC pretty much the whole time on Saturday. ;D Sunday it was back to the Ipod.

I'll be uploading ~50 pictures over the next hour or so, I might just post the highlights here...for now, just a teaser.

Thrice, what is that dog doing to you?

96651898.jpg

Well, I missed that you'd hooked up the dac entirely, though I did listen to the RS1s for a bit with it. I do know that after I heard the 808 with Pete's wonderful amp in the ttvj room, I kept wondering how your amp would sound/compare if similarly sourced or close. I still think it has more potential than allowed, but I do know that the 650s were shining with it, and I'm...ahem...a bit picky about those.

btw, I'm heading over to pp now for the tubes. Thanks, Nate.

Good point. We could always have a meet here in Iceland. Those that have been in downtown Reykjavik at 6am on a Sunday morning know what I'm talking about... :kitty:

:prettyprincess: I can agree to that.

If there is a meet in Iceland I will strongly consider to come. But I guess I will have to bring the family, so downtown 6am is most likly long gone :sadcat: