Canjam 08 Meet Impressions

postjack

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least you don't look like your face is in spasm.

Maybe you'll find the next picture just a bit more flattering, Tyra! >:D

Tyrion and n_maher share a moment between headphones:

dsc1085zw8.jpg

Little Tyrion helps dad dole out the prizes (at least the ones agile_one and JP#'s don't drop!)

dsc1133bd7.jpg

A lucky winner receives his Singlepower Square Wave from Mikhail:

dsc1200nx9.jpg

The madness at full throttle:

dsc1158kb6.jpg

She found the gear quite enthralling:

dsc1104dq0.jpg

And he optimistically approached the HD650's:

dsc1121kn1.jpg

Philodox's rig, proud to bring you Jeff Buckley, Jeff Buckley, Jeff Buckley, and more Jeff Buckley! :D

dsc1073yd6.jpg

Grawk teeters on the edge of sleepiness:

dsc1123uv2.jpg

Whilst Voltron feeds the need:

dsc1088rz4.jpg

What synergy!

dsc1087dt6.jpg

Nice pics Dreamer de Iron.

...and a good time was had by all (even the nice policeman :police: that stopped by to say hi to the young Klipsch posse).

It is Jewish tradition to stomp on a glass at the end of a wedding ceremony, but from the 5th floor?...now that's, a different religion. :angel:

Whats wrong with some DOF?

Isn't that what the other gazillion pictures from Can Jam are for?

It wasn't my goal to produce basic pics of every booth/table and piece of gear. If I was the only person there taking pics, perhaps I would have in the interest of information.

It wasn't my goal to produce basic pics of every booth/table and piece of gear. If I was the only person there taking pics, perhaps I would have in the interest of information.

I don't know what DOF means, but I really like the pics you took, Peter.

Oh I'm not saying they are all a crock, but a few of them are so over the top I started feeling my stomach turning. The majority are nice pictures.

I don't know what DOF means, but I really like the pics you took, Peter.

Depth of Field. 'Greater' DOF means bringing more stuff into focus when a picture is taken and you can control that on cameras with an aperture setting.

I also like Iron_Dreamer's pics :-) Best ones I've seen so far of CanJam - well done!

You want more pictures, I'll give you more pictures!!!

:kitty:

Gratuitous Shot of Vicki's "Head-Fier of the Year" Stand

96651784.jpg

My Source First Rig - Ipod Touch -> Menace

96651789.jpg

Tyll and Queen V

96651792.jpg

philodox's wounded, but still excellent rig

96651795.jpg

Vicki's Lector (so close to being my precious...)

96651797.jpg

Vicki's Exemplar 2900 (nice, very, very, nice)

96651799.jpg

Vicki's Extreme Platinum w/ external PS

96651800.jpg

Jack Woo's WA-5

96651803.jpg

Rudistor Table

96651804.jpg

Smyth's Ultimate Gaming Rig

96651805.jpg

Moon Audio's Cary and modded Original CD Player

96651807.jpg

Meet Master Mike's rig (pay to listen, sheesh!)

96651808.jpg

highlife's rig

96651811.jpg

Voltron's New Beta22

96651813.jpg

asr's Beta22

96651815.jpg

asr's seriously sexy bel canto

96651817.jpg

dinner friday night aka my first vegan meal (pretty good)

96651819.jpg

Smyth's Surround Demo

96651823.jpg

Smyth's Secret Black Box

96651825.jpg

TTVJ/Millett Phono Stage

96651827.jpg

Todd's Seriously Cool Posters

96651829.jpg

TTVJ/Millett 307A MONSTER (one of my top 2 rigs of the meet)

96651831.jpg

no caption required...

96651833.jpg

Tyll and his Audiophile Desktop (me want BAD)

96651837.jpg

Headroom Speaker Stands (pics just don't do these a bit of justice)

96651844.jpg

My Ultimate Office Rig

96651846.jpg

The Main Room (as seen from my table)

96651853.jpg

The Main Room (from the far end) - side note I would not like to be around when the hotel gets there power bill...

96651856.jpg

Pete Millett's "Starving Student" Hybrid Amp - way cheap, doggone good, pure DIY fun

96651859.jpg

Voltron's Jitter Reduction Device (or something like that...)

96651870.jpg

Justin's/Headamp's Prototype Blue Hawaii Special Edittion

(my other favorite rig of the meet, geez this sounded spectacular)

Thrice is going to post detailed impressions since he can't escape the fact that I caught him listening here...

96651893.jpg

Thrice missing his old amp

96651900.jpg

Thrice checking out Mike's current rig

96651903.jpg

Thrice w/ the Headamp Aristaeus (man this guy was everywhere, post some impressions already!!!)

96651906.jpg

The Single Power Odyssey (drool)

96651908.jpg

and to close things out, DanG checking out the soon to be released PJ530 IEMS (yes, you can get the whole frog in your ear for maximum bass and isolation)

96651914.jpg

Vicki:

Do you have any pics of the Singlepower external power supply unit, the jack and what not? This is purely for >:D purposes. Looks like Mikhail is not using the DC power jacks any more (good move), as I assume this is for the tube heaters only?. Is the external psu just a standard power brick of sorts that's been reterminated with that Neutrik connector? Does the amp work without the external unit plugged in? Is there a voltage selector on the unit?

Sorry for all the questions, this is the first time I've seen something like this on a Singlepower, so I'm geeking out about it :)

Vicki:

Do you have any pics of the Singlepower external power supply unit, the jack and what not? This is purely for >:D purposes. Looks like Mikhail is not using the DC power jacks any more (good move), as I assume this is for the tube heaters only?. Is the external psu just a standard power brick of sorts that's been reterminated with that Neutrik connector? Does the amp work without the external unit plugged in? Is there a voltage selector on the unit?

Sorry for all the questions, this is the first time I've seen something like this on a Singlepower, so I'm geeking out about it :)

I actually talked with Mikhail about the external PS on Sunday. The external PS is the HV supply, not the heaters (although like you I expected the opposite) so it's not something you can use the amp without. And no, Vicki's amp doesn't have a voltage selector. The connectors are Neutrik Speakon types, although he has said he gets special versions that are black w/ gold plating. I've seen them for sale before, although only once, and I'm not sure I'd feel all that great about using them for HV AC. I haven't read their spec sheets close enough to see if it's anything worth worrying about.

Just found the link to the gold speakon plugs - http://www.audiogear.com/Neutrik-Speakon.html - part no. NL4FC-B

I actually talked with Mikhail about the external PS on Sunday. The external PS is the HV supply, not the heaters (although like you I expected the opposite) so it's not something you can use the amp without. And no, Vicki's amp doesn't have a voltage selector. The connectors are Neutrik Speakon types, although he has said he gets special versions that are black w/ gold plating. I've seen them for sale before, although only once, and I'm not sure I'd feel all that great about using them for HV AC. I haven't read their spec sheets close enough to see if it's anything worth worrying about.

Just found the link to the gold speakon plugs - http://www.audiogear.com/Neutrik-Speakon.html - part no. NL4FC-B

:doghuh:

that $$ Plitron is for show then, relegated to a bling heater supply?

any pics of the psu?

It's probably not AC, rectified and smoothed would be my guess.

any pics of the psu?

I don't know all the details, and I don't know wtf you guys are talking about from the technical perspective, but I think that $$$ Plitron was on the amp before he ever came up with the idea of the separate PSU. Would seem odd for him to take it off at that point.

I don't know what he's got in her amp for a filament trafo, I would doubt that it's the same Plitron since he's no longer using the HV section.

And right you are, I'm sure it's not AC, but rather the DC already rectified and smoothed. Serves me right for not forming a complete thought before typing.

The whole point of the external supply is to allow the use of 6528s and their massive 5A heaters. So I'm guessing, and it really is just a guess, that he replaces the plitron with a beefy filament trafo and moves all the HV stuff to the external box.

any pics of the psu?

So I'm guessing, and it really is just a guess, that he replaces the plitron with a beefy filament trafo and moves all the HV stuff to the external box.

The Plitron is still there sitting on the amp.. That's like a $350 trafo....and nuthin' but fo' sho'? :horsey:

I need to see pics of the psu..... time to pull this one out:

:useless:

I gotta give the BH-SE the prize for sexiest looking. The Menace is even bigger than I imagined! :o

Yeah, I was kinda floored by how big the Menace was when Nate was standing by it. In the build thread, there wasn't anything to get a reference from.

Guest sacd lover

The Plitron is still there sitting on the amp.. That's like a $350 trafo....and nuthin' but fo' sho'? :horsey:

I need to see pics of the psu..... time to pull this one out:

:useless:

I thought the external power supply was for the filaments and the high voltage supply was on the amp side. :-\