Canjam 08 Meet Impressions

postjack

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just spending some quality time with vicki's exemplar 2910 > extreme (complete with hum upgrade) > r10. These phones leave an aching feeling in my gut they are so good. I did not expect to like these cans, but I love them. They are just about perfect in all ways. The bass is out of this world! I don't know what people are talking about when they say they are bass shy. My only qualm is there is a bit o' heat somewhere in the midrange, but honestly its more of a warmth that is quite enjoyable. The decay on this phone is marvelous. In fact, it manages to pull of all the audiophile tricks while still being damn musical.

Well....that what I have been saying all along regarding the R10. In the right system with the amp tunes for them, the R10 is just so wonderful. Vicki's R10 (bassy version) system is pretty amazing. Her Extreme Platinum sounds very dynamics. You should check out the HD-650 with her amp as well. BTW, the Exemplar Denon 2900 is one pretty impressive unit.

Well....that what I have been saying all along regarding the R10. In the right system with the amp tunes for them, the R10 is just so wonderful. Vicki's R10 (bassy version) system is pretty amazing. Her Extreme Platinum sounds very dynamics. You should check out the HD-650 with her amp as well. BTW, the Exemplar Denon 2900 is one pretty impressive unit.

Hi Purk, If I decide to get a R10 in the future should I be looking at the less bassy R10? I remembered reading that you thought the less bassy version worked well with the SP SDS upgraded. I do recall hearing that the less bassy version had a bigger sound stage and better mids.

Better offer him the PSU PCBs too... oh wait, after the Menace, he can just P2P those :prettyprincess:

I don't have any but who wants to settle for that supply when the BH deserves so much better. For comparison I'm going with a Sigma22 as the +/-15v psu so overkill is the name of the day... :o

"Bass heavy R10's" "Bassy" -- what is this shit? I realize I'm being pedantic, but the correct terminology is "bass-light" and "less bass-light". I bet even the Beyer DT990 has more bass. Heck, I bet the Spendor S3/5 speakers formerly known as mine have more bass than the "less bass-light" versions of the R10's.

I don't have any but who wants to settle for that supply when the BH deserves so much better. For comparison I'm going with a Sigma22 as the +/-15v psu so overkill is the name of the day... :o

A much more extreme BH supply is coming. Maybe another 10 months. Should

be available as an upgrade to all the new stuff including the BHSE. Won't be

cheap.

Trust me on this one, MUCH MORE EXTREME. Dual tracking 4 stage shunt regulation

design.

cheap.

design.

Needs tkam sized caps.

"Bass heavy R10's" "Bassy" -- what is this shit? I realize I'm being pedantic, but the correct terminology is "bass-light" and "less bass-light". I bet even the Beyer DT990 has more bass. Heck, I bet the Spendor S3/5 speakers formerly known as mine have more bass than the "less bass-light" versions of the R10's.

I stand corrected Dusty. Being that i haven't heard any R10s I really don't know how much bass they have honestly. How about would the less-bass-light version be better with my Dragon amp than the bass-light version? Thanks again and keep the impressions coming at CanJam :). Sounds like you guys are having a good time there :dance:

cheap.

design.

I had heard that there was something cooking. Sign me up for a PCB or two but we need at least +/-450v... ;)

I had heard that there was something cooking. Sign me up for a PCB or two but we need at least +/-450v... ;)

As long as 630 volt capacitors are available, there is no reason why the power

supply can't go to +/-550. All the parts are rated for 600 volts.

Or stack 350 volt caps. At which point DIY is not recommended except for people

who really know what they are doing.

Did not see any pictures of ray's new electrostatic amp at canjam :'(

As long as 630 volt capacitors are available, there is no reason why the power

supply can't go to +/-550. All the parts are rated for 600 volts.

Or stack 350 volt caps. At which point DIY is not recommended except for people

who really know what they are doing.

Did not see any pictures of ray's new electrostatic amp at canjam :'(

The caps are the problem as 550v parts are rare and 600v+ electrolytic's are all but unheard of in the sizes needed. There is always the option of having them custom made but the cost... :(

I respectfully disagree. :)

I respectfully disagree. :)

I respectfully disagree too. :D :D See Dusty. ;)

Clearly you weren't thinking. I just switched to Dan's ESP950s and while they aren't up to the level of the o2 they are pretty damn good.

Nate did you buy back his ESP950? Or did you find another one?

I'm buying Al's Omega 2, and I still want to try the Koss :kitty:

I have the newer version DT990 and it has plenty of bass...