Canjam 08 Meet Impressions

postjack

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm much more sensitive to different components in a vinyl rig then in differences between digital rigs, but I guess thats part of the joy of vinyl is the very high level of control the listener has over his or her source.

joy? more like a curse.... heh.. well-said though.

Too tired to post impressions. Just left Justin's room after a last listen to the BH/O2. LOVE. Sold my Lector to Mikhail and UE11s will soon be mine. Great people, lots of laughing, four nights of little sleep....nighty night now. Will try to remember things tomorrow.

Too tired to post impressions. Just left Justin's room after a last listen to the BH/O2. LOVE. Sold my Lector to Mikhail and UE11s will soon be mine. Great people, lots of laughing, four nights of little sleep....nighty night now. Will try to remember things tomorrow.

Get some rest florida crews. When will be the next florida meet? :D

I'm glad some people liked the SR-007 Mk2 and BHSE.

My expectations for HeadAmp are high, unlike a certain other amp maker with the initials SP. I expect more energy (read: working on my amp) from Justin. Tired after packing a BHSE and a couple of measly Picos? That's weak, man.

He could've skipped CanJam and finished my amp already.

scd-1 > bhse > 0II was probably rig of the meet. I highly valued not just its sound, buts also its wonderful hugeness and beautiful silver simplicity. I also listened to the HE90 briefly on this rig, and obviously didn't have time to appreciate its $10,000 headphone greatness, but in a meet setting I was more immediately pleased with the HE1.2b out of the WooAudio GES. :kitty: I was probably heavily affected my by knowledge of the price of these two headphones.

Awesome pics of Justin. :rofl: Those rooms were really nice though, Mike did a great job picking a sweet (suite?) hotel.

Elephas, you will be very pleased with your BHSE. I can't wait to see what the final chassis design is like.

A couple of quick notes from work:

1. No news is bad news... - about the lack of introduction of any new, flagship dynamic headphones. I was not the only one surprised that there weren't at least 2 pairs there. The reason given, for at least one of them, was that it's largely related to the current economic climate and the man'f is questioning what the demand for a high-end headphone will be like. The price bracket that is being bantered about is a lot more than any of their current offerings so it wouldn't be a replacement for anything but an addition to their lineup.

2. I will never bring that much gear to a meet that is 1500 miles from home again! :) I spent 3hrs Sunday just packing and as a result didn't get to listen to squat. I did spend just a bit more time with the BH/O2 setup and continued to be amazed by just how good it sounded. And knowing what Justin is planning for the final chassis, eek, it's going to be sweet.

I just got home. There was a final breakfast and some verrry slow moving about. My car's still filled with gear, and I don't care. I'm tired. Let it stay there for awhile. I'm happy, but tired. Team Florida might just become a travel team only for awhile. I'll post thoughts about gear later, but want to say straight up that the best part of the meet was hanging out with folks, especially Nate, grawk, pj, the monkey, and philodox from the head-case crew.

Thrice, you were missed:

CJ08-Fri1of1.jpg

How much is BH-SE going for?

I think if you get in on the first batch it's around $4k, maybe more. After that I think the price is going to be going up more, in the range of $4500 but I can't remember the exact figures. I can say one thing, given the choice between $8k for just a pair of HE90s (an offer that was recently refused I hear) and the O2/BHSE at around $6k it'd be an easy choice.

And *shock* thrice my goodness what is that in your mouth?!??!

...I will never bring that much gear to a meet that is 1500 miles from home again! :) I spent 3hrs Sunday just packing and as a result didn't get to listen to squat...

I will never thow a meet of this size, that requires you to send your gear 1500 miles. I am lucky if I spent 3 hour listening total the entire weekend. ;) I am too tired to discuss any of the impressions I have at the moment, maybe tonight. The one thing I will say is the Smyth Research surround sound technology was the highlight of the daytime hours of the meet. It is very cool technology and does truly provide surround sound as if you were listening to a 5.1 system through speakers. They had an xbox 360 in the main room. When I first started to play I found myself turning and looking behind me to see if there was a speaker there. No matter how many times I looked there was no speaker. In the Smyth Research room they had a cool demo set up.

First they put some type of smail IEM in your ears, and then put the Stax headphone over your ears. They play sounds through each channel instructing you to turn to look at the center speaker, then right, then left (I'm probably combining steps). Once that is done, the demo begins. First is with music, then a movie. The headphones have a small transmitter on the top of the headphones. As you turn your head in between the two front speakers (if you go beyond either speaker, the sound cuts out, which is the way it is supposed to work), the orientation of each speaker (front, back and center) holds which wouldn't happen if listening to speakers. The demo is setup so that if you take the headphones off and point the transmitter at a 45 degree angle it goes to speakers so you can a/b the two systems. I'm not sure you need the speakers unless you are listening with others. It is that good.

A huge thanks to Vicki, Gene, Matt, Jp, and Dom for all your help over the last 7 or 8 months and at the meet. :)

Next year why not just throw a drinking party.

If its in chicago, i'll promise to bring at least 5 bottles

of scotch the youngest of which will be 30 years old.

Why do only a drinking party when you can do that, a concert and a meet. Chicago has my vote, as long as I don't have to do anything other than show up and help drink the scotch.