What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on day two of running the bakery on my own and I've already had to deal with 3 major clusterfucks. :palm: The next month will be no fun at all...

Running production and the shop all alone? Or have you got someone on the counter? Why the flying solo?

I had Lily for most of the day so we did lots of daddy/daughter stuff. Went to the hardware store, went to the farm and finally out to dinner (a first for us). All in all it was a very good day. Sandwiched in the middle during nap time I did some fab work in the shop on The Torpedo which came out reasonably well despite being a little rushed.

Running production and the shop all alone? Or have you got someone on the counter? Why the flying solo?

The shop is fully staffed but I have to start each morning, take care of most of the production, make sure we have ample inventory of everything, make all the deliveries, handle all the money/invoices etc. plus pretty much everything that happens. This included making a 100 person wedding cake almost completely on my own which is well outside of my comfort zone. Give me the most finicky bread recipe ever conceived, no worries but cakes are whole other matter...

Edit. The reason for all of this is my brother is in Germany to become a Master Konditor. When he comes back home he'll have to go in for some minor surgery as well but it is better to group these things. :)

Edited by spritzer

Went and got my DOT physical out of the way. The place I got it done last time had a soundproof chamber and a real hearing test, hearing was good then but my ears have been feeling a little dull lately so I was hoping to get a good hearing test again without having to go to an audiologist. No such setup at this place, just a woman standing behind me whispering.

I just don't understand leaf blowers, you still have to pick up the leaves at some point.

Up at my trailer I blow the leaves into the woods. I don't pick up anything. At home, I blow them out away from the fence line and the landscaping, then mulch.

My son-in-law has a good acre and a half of woods around the home. It would unthinkable to rake that many leaves. Makes much more sense to blow into a tarp, or up the loading ramp on a trailer, and haul them away.

If you don't have a yard, or don't have a yard you care about, or it is the size of a postage stamp then the leaf blower doesn't make sense.

Just saw Rek's post, makes more sense :)

Almost all our neighbors hire lawn service people to blow leaves around with leaf blowers (even though the lawns are each about the size of a postage stamp). I figure that all the leaves just end up on our lawn since we don't have a leaf blower to blow them back.

The thing I hate about leaf blowers is that they are so LOUD and the lawn people insist on blowing leaves on Saturday morning at 7:30am (even though they are supposed to wait til 8am).

I suppose if you live next to a forest, the leaf blower may be a good idea.

Around here, we can start using our lawn/garden equipment starting at 7am, though I haven't heard anyone start that early.

It can get rather hot and humid even by mid-morning.

Our "quiet hours" end at 7am on weekdays, 8am on Saturdays but luckily not until noon on Sundays.

I do believe one is allowed to shoot anyone making noise during quiet hours. :)

There are also some lawns in wooded areas where it's simply impossible to much. At our place in portsmouth we had about 1/16 of an acre surrounded by trees. When I'd help the landlord rake the leaves would be 3 to 6" thick over the entire lawn. Now I just suck them up with the grass-catching attachment on the tractor, this is by far my favorite method.

So after one year and seven months, I officially finished my course and training for Air Traffic Controler today, after a 11 day examination period. Signed all the papers, went to the beach to surf for a couple of hours and had a nice dinner with my parents! Nice wine too :)

So after one year and seven months, I officially finished my course and training for Air Traffic Controler today, after a 11 day examination period. Signed all the papers, went to the beach to surf for a couple of hours and had a nice dinner with my parents! Nice wine too :)

Congrats are in order! Best of luck in handling your new position.

sent via Droid X