WTF is this?

recstar24

"Greatly improved transient power response, bass impact, and definition."

I had a similar one of these in a car audio install years ago (with no digital readout). The idea is this: your car battery is in the front of the car, and your three amps are in the back. When you system is turned up, it can suck power more quickly than the battery can charge up the line. With a large capacitor working as a small fast-acting battery near the amps, you get power more quickly.

Did I notice a difference? Actually, I did. Although I couldn't describe it now...

"Greatly improved transient power response, bass impact, and definition."

I had a similar one of these in a car audio install years ago (with no digital readout). The idea is this: your car battery is in the front of the car, and your three amps are in the back. When you system is turned up, it can suck power more quickly than the battery can charge up the line. With a large capacitor working as a small fast-acting battery near the amps, you get power more quickly.

Did I notice a difference? Actually, I did. Although I couldn't describe it now...

Hint: electriciy moves at roughly the speed of light. It has nothign to do with the battery not be able to 'charge the line'. Power lines don't charge.

Typical car batteries cannot supply the fast, on demand current that a high power car system cam provide. However, these large, electrolytic caps can.

My last system pulled 75+ amps at volume. I needed to upgrade the battery, alternator, and still add 4 Farads of stiffening caps to keep my lights from dimming too badly. God what a waste of money.

1 farad is about the entry point for car audio caps. Unless you're a basshead, that should be plenty.

I have a 500 watt sub amp and I dont use a cap at all. I'm just judicious with the bass. Though I do have an aftermarket battery.

edit: and I definitely dont think it was a waste of money. Time? Yes. If I had to do it over again, I would have had an installer install all my dynamat-related things.

Door panels are a bitch to put back on :palm:

3101.jpg

Here is a popular capacitor. Alumapro CAP5 V2

Carbon Alloy Power 5 Farad Capacitor

* 5 farad Minimum Capacitance

* For all 12-volt vehicle electrical systems

* 100 volts (50 mSec) Surge

* 650 Joules nominal stored energy

* .002 ohms/Farad typical ESR

* Connections for up to 4 AWG cable

* Dimensions: 5.1 W x 8.2 L x 1.6 H

* Approx. 4 lbs.

$269.99 at WoofersEtc.com

Just remember that even though they are designed to assist the battery, they still ad they're own power demand.

That's just the normal burn-in time for a RSA amp...

burn-in? Ray's amps inject a subtle hypnotic track over the output signal that can easily be mistaken for distortion. 500 hours is the amount of time before your totally under the power of the amp and start the fan-boy chanting ritual.