Deals

Dusty Chalk

I own several watches in the under $200 price range that are automatics. But They're not as reliable or accurate as the quartz watches. I just buy automatics because I LIKE automatic and manual watches. If you want something that looks cool and tells good time, there's nothing wrong with a quartz watch.

And of course EVERYONE judges people by appearance. That's a key survival characteristic that's been developed for thousands of years.

Tritium has a half life of about 12.33 years, which means it looses half its energy every 12.33 years via beta decay (-e). Beta has more energy than alpha (which is heavier and can be stopped by a sheet of paper), thus tritium could penetrated deeper below the skin (although it is stopped by a few centimeters of wood). Unless both the glass dial and the glass receptacle on the markers break there should not be a need to worry. However you may wish to read more on the matter to appease your concern.

Tritium is pretty innocuous, and the key part would be that it should be very easy to wash away.

I used to handle tritiated thymidine quite regularly. This stuff is quite dangerous, but only because the thymidine facilitates absorption through the skin and can be incorporated into your DNA.

Tritium is pretty innocuous, and the key part would be that it should be very easy to wash away.

I used to handle tritiated thymidine quite regularly. This stuff is quite dangerous, but only because the thymidine facilitates absorption through the skin and can be incorporated into your DNA.

Hmmm ... where did I hear something similar? Oh yeah ... ;)

Although tritium does produce a beta particle, it is a very low energy beta that has a very low probability of penetrating the dead layer of skin. The real danger with tritium is from internal damage due to ingestion or inhalation. The triated paint once dry poses little hazard.

And of course EVERYONE judges people by appearance. That's a key survival characteristic that's been developed for thousands of years.
Well, it's not just that -- I mean, several of us here on this very board are nutters that would wear just such a watch, and I really doubt she'd run the other way from us. I would even go so far as to suggest that she is drawn towards nutters.

I own several watches in the under $200 price range that are automatics. But They're not as reliable or accurate as the quartz watches. I just buy automatics because I LIKE automatic and manual watches. If you want something that looks cool and tells good time, there's nothing wrong with a quartz watch.
Okay, so just like anything else, there will be better quartz watches and worse quartz watches, and just like anything else, I should be just as concerned about getting a cheap watch that's overpriced vs. a quality watch.

I am like Dan in that regard as well: I have four automatics all under $200, just because I like automatics.

I also have one quartz.

Oh, and one solar-powered (Citizen's Eco-Drive).

All under $200. Hell, under $150 for most. But no more watches for me unless they are gifts. I bought the ones I have because I like the way they look, really, not so much for function and accuracy.

Okay, so how do I find out about watch companies' reputations? I'd be interested in seeing how "TX" fair for that one Monkey posted a couple pages back, and on Amazon, there's a bunch of 5 star reviews, but most watches only have one reporter, so that's too low a sampling for my tastes. Any good watch sites that would discuss mainstream-ish brands (I.E. the kind of brands you'd find at Nordstroms)?

Also, do you* have any watch winders? I have exactly one automatic (Armitron), and I treat it horribly (let it unwind), I'd like to get a cheap watch winder for it. Knowing how watch winders work, I know that most of them are over-priced.

*and by "you", I mean either of you, or anyone else who has automatics -- my automatic was $100, so I'd feel silly spending much for a watch winder.

Dusty, I have a watch winder, but it was a gift. It winds four watches and stores four more. It's kinda big too, but it looks decent.

The gift was an ebay purchase, so I'll look on ebay later to see if I find it and let you know which one it is.

By the way, my watch brands are:

automatic watches: 3 Stuhrlings, 1 Orient

quartz: 1 Fossil, 1 citizen (the solar-powered one)

I dont think it is necessay to have a winder, but it sure was a bit of anuisance to have to reset the time whenever I switched watches (I wouldn't wear one or the other for a week at a time before, and they'd stop).