The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

I haven't posted any photos in this thread in ages. I have an, uh, large-ish backlog, but I don't have time to get in to that now. I mentioned briefly in passing that I bought an IR-modded EOS 5D. Kind of a strange purchase, but the price was too good to pass up. In early 2009 I bought an IR-modified PowerShot G2. Some time later I bought a Sunpak Nocto400 infrared flash. The Nocto400 is based on a mid-80s Sunpak "hammerhead" meant for medium and large format film cameras. It's output power is just a little bit more than digital point & shoot that can only stop down to F/8 can handle (inverse square law or no inverse square law). My experiments with the IR G2 and the Nocto400 did not go particularly well.

Now with the IR 5D, which is an aging but full featured (and full frame) camera, the Nocto400 is proving itself to be a valuable tool. In the incandescent era, there were a lot of infrared photons flying through the interiors of most buildings. (Compact) fluorescent lights have really changed that. All the blinkenlights I use at clubs now are LED, which emit virtually no IR. Available light is my preferred method of photography, as I dislike the look of all but the most sophisticated flash setups. My objections are less significant in the near-infrared spectrum, where everything is so weird that harsh light from a strobe is kind of irrelevant.

8143656893_877fba1053_b.jpg

Last night I was up way too late after attending the local goth night's halloween party. Afterward I went to the diner I used to frequent regularly and harassed a friend of mine who was working the overnight shift. I chased her around like the paparazzi with my giant 5D/Nocto400 rig and took a few dozen frames. She asked why the flash wasn't going off and I told her it was so she wouldn't blink </lie>. The Nocto400 doesn't have much in the way of output controls, just "lo" and "hi". The former is still too bright much of the time, so I end up shooting in full manual and continually adjusting the aperture to compensate for exposure. It's like shooting with a 1970s film camera, with the immediate feedback of a digital body. The above shot is probably the best of the night, interms of framing, exposure and the subject's expression. I showed it to Marie today and she said she looked crazed. I suppose I will have to explain to her that it's an IR shot at some point...

I could not decide whether to post here or in the slower forum... so I post here.

I have been searching for a significant other for the past few months - since roughly that met where yall disowned me, if you want to know the truth about it and meeting with little success. Anyways, from time to time I come across something in someone's profile that makes me want to say "dafuq" but its usually something liek people saying they dont like bad spellers.

Anyways, I found this today.

Face blurred to protect the innocent.

oopse.jpg

When you see it you'l shit bricks...

Edited by nikongod

Nate, what's your price point? I've switched over to m43 a while back for variety of reasons (tendenitis, weight, etc.) and I've been happy with the switch. If you don't need an OVF, the new Olympus PL-5 really looks nice with same sensor and focus speed as OM-D, and its touchscreen focus/shutter should be a really nice feature (assuming it functions like the one on OM-D). I never thought I'd use it when I first got my OM-D, but I probably use it just as much as regular shutter now.

As for lenses, I've no real help, since I only used 25/1.4 and 45/1.8. The 45/1.8 is really a nice lens, especially for the price, with fast AF and great IQ. The 25/1.4 is a nice lens as well, but bit overpriced IMO. The consensus best value lens for m43 is Panasonic 14/2.5 pancake, which can be had new for less than $200 on eBay.

Edited by Salt Peanuts