What to do where to go?

Grand Enigma

So the wife and I have decided that we want out of NJ... problem is we have no idea where to go. We have had enough with the traffic, people, rudeness, and all the lovely things NJ is known for.

We would greatly appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. As an aid the wife and I are more outdoorsy people than city people but still like nice restaurants and amenities near by.

We are currently looking at Austin TX, Nashua NH, Harrisbug PA area...

Despite its reputation I don't think Nashua is all that nice (although I'm sure some parts are) but the surrounding parts of southern NH are very livable. The good/bad thing about southern NH is that you're within easy commuting distance of much of Mass so job opportunities are probably as plentiful as you'll find anywhere these days. The bad part is that your close to Mass so you have to deal with mass-folk (sorry salty).

That said, you're young, I'd make a break for it and maybe give Texas a shot. Although Alex might not appreciate the local competition. ;D

The wife's parents are really pushing CT as that is where they live... but CT and MA just seem like another NJ with MA having the drunkin Irish instead of the drunkin Italians.

NH seems nice as there is no state income tax and a lot of outdoorys stuff to do. Could finally get back into mtn, biking, snowboarding and off-roading again.

As for Austin... the heat is the one deal breaker there but everyone seems to slowly adjust to it. It would also be fun to beat down Alexs door and say hello. Maybe we could even get into cahoots together ;)

Edited by Grand Enigma

The wife's parents are really pushing CT as that is where they live... but CT and MA just seem like another NJ with MA having the drunkin Irish instead of the drunkin Italians.

NH seems nice as there is no state income tax and a lot of outdoorys stuff to do. Could finally get back into mtn, biking, snowboarding and off-roading again.

As for Austin... the heat is the one deal breaker there but everyone seems to slowly adjust to it. It would also be fun to beat down Alexs door and say hello. Maybe we could even get into cahoots together ;)

don't forget, everything is bigger in Texas.. including the 3.5 hour drive to meet Alex :)

Well, Nashua (and Salem) are generally considered northern MA by the rest of NH anyway. Even Londonderry and Manchester are under attack from those moving up from the south.

That is likely that furthest North I could get the wife to go... possibly Manchester... she doesn't like the cold and I don't like that heat :)

I really just choose the Nashua area since it seems as if there is a lot of industry there and I could likely find a job some place.

If I had to settle anywhere it would be suburbs of Dallas or Orange County (CA).

Despite its reputation I don't think Nashua is all that nice (although I'm sure some parts are) but Athe ACsurrounding parts of southern NH are very livable. The good/bad thing about southern NH is that you're within easy commuting distance of much of Mass so job opportunities are probably as plentiful as you'll find anywhere these days. The bad part is that your close to Mass so you have to deal with mass-folk (sorry salty).

That said, you're young, I'd make a break for it and maybe give Texas a shot. Although Alex might not appreciate the local competition. ;D

My problem wouldn't be the mass folk, instead the traffic on 93/495 that would make me want to kill myself.

And for NH I think Salem is much nicer than Nashua. Then you're really on the border :kitty:

Edited by deepak

The more coastal you get in Ct, the more Ice/freezing rain you get. If you go toward the northern part of the state, and stick to the east or west, its all nice country. Stay away from the hartford and new haven areas. Wallingford/Cheshire area is a great treadeoff IMO. Its central, but still suburban and close to everyhting. Except Storrs and Shelton. :facepalm: (school/work)

The more coastal you get in Ct, the more Ice/freezing rain you get. If you go toward the northern part of the state, and stick to the east or west, its all nice country. Stay away from the hartford and new haven areas. Wallingford/Cheshire area is a great treadeoff IMO. Its central, but still suburban and close to everyhting. Except Storrs and Shelton. :facepalm: (school/work)

My wife's parents are in East Windsor... technically Broad Brook.. North Central I guess it would be... I have a feeling by the CT area she would mean closer to them than not.

My wife's parents are in East Windsor... technically Broad Brook.. North Central I guess it would be... I have a feeling by the CT area she would mean closer to them than not.

Yeah that's not exactly where I'd want to be living. Pretty darn close to Hartford. Not a bad thing, but you said you were sick of traffic. Hartford is about as bad as it gets for CT, exclusion of the 95/91 interchange in New Haven.

Yeah that's not exactly where I'd want to be living. Pretty darn close to Hartford. Not a bad thing, but you said you were sick of traffic. Hartford is about as bad as it gets for CT, exclusion of the 95/91 interchange in New Haven.

Good good... I need things like this to keep us away. That and gas prices are higher there.

Taco Bell is also important... I am currently 30min from the closest Taco Bell would like that to be 5-10min